Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassmaster

RIGGING STICK BAITS

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi this is how i rig slugo,s and other baits

1) snell a 8 or 9/0 hook then tye a loop knot. wrap thred around hook and nail polish it.

2) feed the rigging needle through bait

3) pull hook via loop with rigging needle, position hook, then pull out and 1 DROP OF ZAP A GAP. pull hook back in and your done.

I put place the hook in middle or at front of bait. tight lines......

rign1.JPG

rign2.JPG

rign3.JPG

im still learning the pic thing, i know the pics stink

------------------

who me? only cockroachs come out at nite. got plug?

[This message has been edited by bassmaster (edited 07-14-2001).]

BM, that looks pretty good. Does the loop knot stay hanging out the front? If so, how do you connect w/ the running line.

Thanks in advance,

KLE

you could cut it off if you want to but a barrel on it. i just use it as it is. to snap on main line.

i want to figure how to make these, there killer.

figure i can make a mold from plaster of paris. just dont know what the stuff the thing is made out of is?

hope this helps

Thanks BM. By the way, I dig your pizza box workbenchwink.gif. I know some guys make plastics by melting down old torn ones. They don't seem too worried about the color.

Later,

KLE

[This message has been edited by KLE (edited 07-14-2001).]

Bassmaster-

Thanks. Timely post. I've been thinking about asking this board a couple of questions on this subject. I often fish the 9" SlugGo, but I often find that after hooking a fish the stickbait will separate from the hook and end up several inches up the leader. When I put it back on the hook while fishing, it doesn't stay well - slides a bit and gets a kink in it, which destroys the way it swims. (SlugGo's use the hook positioned at the head - no need to thread with a needle). I've taken to replacing the damaged SlugGo with another pre-rigged one to continue fishing, and re-rigging and gluing the damaged one at home later.

My questions are-

1. Does anyone else have this problem? If avoidable, how?

2. Can I just apply some Zap-a-Gap there on the spot, with water presumably inside the cavity where the hook was rigged, and expect it to hold?

3. Is Zap-a-Gap merely Krazy glue, which I can buy much cheaper? If Zap-a-Gap is a cyanoacrylate, which uses moisture to set, maybe regluing wet will work - I haven't tried it.

BTW, I've found that wrapping thread on the hook, as you've described, does help hold the SlugGo to the hook.

Also, there was a series of articles on another board late this past winter on how to pour soft stickbaits. It was probably a freshwater bass board. I coped the articles but after I read how much work it seemed, I think I tossed them. If anyone really wants it, I'll look it up and see if I can direct you to it.

Does anyone have an opinion about rigging sluggos with the hook pointing up as opposed to pointing down. I know assassins and Fin-S have that hollow sort of cavity that would make a difference with the rigging, but how about sluggos?

Thanks,

KLE

i dont think it matters on the hook riding up. i wanted to put the hook in the back of the bait to get more hook ups.

thanks for info, i will be doing my own molds in the near future, if i dont break anymore rods crying.gif

Hay Bassmaster......If you check Bass Pro or Cabelas, I think they have the liquid to make plastic baits and also have colors and scents.

------------------

Bob Sr. (Big Daddy Breaks-A-lot)

Bassmaster,

Search this site for info on pouring your own plastics. Gotsripers has a personal web site that has very good instructions for making molds using Bondo, which can be found at your local car parts store. I've ordered plastic, coloring, glitter, etc. from Lurecraft. They have a decent web site too. One of the many great things about pouring your own is that you can recycle used baits, thus saving a bunch of $$$.

Good luck and thanks for the rigging advice; it looks sweet.

Mark