Mass_Angler45

Plum Island

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Heading out to fish plum island from the shore soon for the first time. I don’t need anyone’s spots, (I can figure that part out once I get boots on the ground there) but was wondering if anyone had any useful information as far as tides, bait, and other things go for a first timer. I’m decently experienced striper fishing in the cape just haven’t made it to plum island before. Thanks 

37 mins ago, Mass_Angler45 said:

Heading out to fish plum island from the shore soon for the first time. I don’t need anyone’s spots, (I can figure that part out once I get boots on the ground there) but was wondering if anyone had any useful information as far as tides, bait, and other things go for a first timer. I’m decently experienced striper fishing in the cape just haven’t made it to plum island before. Thanks 

Go by Surfland and buy some bait.  They can give you some tips. 

There are no bad spots on PI. 

2 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

Plum Island, NY??

you can fish there? Federal land still?

Not to derail the thread, but the Plum Island, NY facility is supposed to move to a newly built Federal facility in Kansas sometime in 2023. Unless it gets halted for some reason. I have no idea what the plans are for the abandoned NY site after that. 

Carry on. 

May wanna call before you go if you're planning to go to Parker Island Wildlife Refuge. I think most lots may be closed to protect piping plover nests. When I called a couple weeks ago the only place people could hit the beach was Sandy Point (which may work out just fine)  Agree with stopping in at Surfland B&T

6 hours ago, Mass_Angler45 said:

Heading out to fish plum island

The whole refuge is closed for plovers and apparently people have been getting parking tickets for parking in the big lot by the river mouth even if fishing overnight. Not sure about this year but I know last year Newburyport also made the same lot only open to residents on the weekends. 

As stated above, Surfland will know all the specifics so check in with them. All of these reasons have caused me to not fish up there yet this year.

I went there earlier, two parking lots closer to the tip were full, found a way to squeeze in. Only one beach location was open. Some drunk guy claimed he caught a 20 lb fish the night before, on a clam. He didn't sound very reliable. Saw a rocky area where people fished, I think it would get tricky at high tide, I wouldn't go there at night. I heard the lot was closing at 9pm, not too sure, so I left. All in all, it's much better on the Cape.

18 hours ago, HappyonChappy said:

The whole refuge is closed for plovers and apparently people have been getting parking tickets for parking in the big lot by the river mouth even if fishing overnight.

Did the parking tickets happen this year?  Also were they formal tickets or just an envelope to pay the gate fee on your way out? Just curious because I have parked there a million times without an issue (granted not this year yet). I havent noticed any "no parking" signs and the town website certainly doesnt mention anything about not parking overnight so to ticket people is rather infuriating. 

7 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Did the parking tickets happen this year?  Also were they formal tickets or just an envelope to pay the gate fee on your way out? Just curious because I have parked there a million times without an issue (granted not this year yet). I havent noticed any "no parking" signs and the town website certainly doesnt mention anything about not parking overnight so to ticket people is rather infuriating. 

Sounds like just an envelope from the attendant. From the surfland site:

Pissed-off Surfcaster Parking Scene

IMG_2516-scaled.jpeg

“Boy oh Boy what a mess Plum Island fishing has turned into. Went to the mouth of the river to fish at 4 am and parked in the lot there and when I returned to my car at 7am there was a parking ticket fee of 15 dollars to be paid for the 3 hrs I was there. It has happened to several other surf fishers I spoke with and they also were upset.”

“This is a blatant rip-off and a discouragement to us surf fishing people, and probably a loss of patronage to Surfland and other businesses. I have fished the island for over 60 yrs and now I have to look for a more fishing friendly place. Just look at what happened to the P.I. Refuge over the past 25 yrs with the “birders” running amuck and having things in their favor.”

“Let’s us surfing fishing people band together and petition the town to stop this B.S. and be supportive to the businesses that pay their taxes, and supply us sportsmen / sportswomen. I certainly hope this gets posted and watch the feedback come poring in.”

Regards, Ed Bonczar

Parking on Plum Island is a pain in the butt. On the Newbury end, there are only 4 no-cost parking spots for non-residents. Newbury residents with a parking tag they can get from the police department don’t fare much better. 5 spaces in the main lot. However, they can park along the East side of Northern Boulevard with that sticker. They ticket hard during the summer there too, so if you aren’t a resident, it’s a tough deal.

Of course you can pay to park. The fees, especially on a weekend, run between $5 and $20 in private lots. Many folks park at the PI bridge for free, and walk to the beach. That’s a long haul in waders though.

Up in Newburyport, the town lot charges different fees on weekdays/weekends. Weekdays $10/$15, weekends $12/$20. You can see the explanation here:

7 hours ago, captahab416 said:

I was there this morning and parked in the big lot at the end of the island at 5:30am. They end up sticking an envelope on your car to pay on the way out. I didn’t see the envelope until I was already gone though so not sure what I’m going to do now haha. But I ended up catching a few fish (nothing big) so I’ll take it