Captain Tuttle

Water Master Grizzly and Kodiak

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any experience with Water Master Grizzly or Kodiak float rafts?  I like the idea of floating down some N.E. rivers and just standing up when I want to start casting.  Although, a lot of people use them a handful of times and then they sit in the garage or basement, so that's a bit telling.  Comments on these and competitors are welcome. 

download-2.jpg

No great opinions other than you get what you pay for.  I used to own a real Avon raft with row frame and an NRS cataraft with tube frame and 10' oars.  Fished both of those in Maine and Montana.  It was awesome but probably way more overkill than you are thinking.

Stand up and fish, I had an aluminum platform where I stood and also a rowing chair.  Sorta like this:

Big bucks for a real setup but you really get to use it and there aren't many compromises.  Something like below is maybe 3-5k depending.  All sorts of options in the used category.

3_BP_with_front_bench_iso_view_1080x.jpg.9114fd16527b84c3e2581e5abd97cb51.jpg

I think a lot depends on how physically fit you are and how committed to this type of fishing.  When I was younger I might have given it a try,not so much now.  I rowed sculls for 25 years ,not so much any more,. LOL

Thanks for the responses.  It's a nice toy to have on the mind and used ones emerge for short money from time-to-time.  I've decided that I should exhaust the wade-in options and my seldom-used kayak before I buy a float/raft.    

I have access to a Seaeagle 350fx . It's a great boat class4 capable. Drop stitch floor and decent paddler for a inflatable. Perfect for a downhill run

I’ve had a Kodak for 3 years and have used it a bunch.  I love the thing.  I’ve had kayaks, float tubes, canoes and the small inflatable aluminum frame pontoons.  Watermaster is by far better than all of those. Both for its performance and ease of use.  So convenient to just have in the trunk for a day of freshwater in Maine.  Only takes ten minutes to get ready or breakdown. I’ve hiked up to two miles with it easy, but it’s something like 45# which is a decent load for a frameless pack.  It rows great, even kicks ok with fins, and I have an electric for it if I need to go far in Stillwater.  Thing is really rugged to.  I highly recommend them.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:41 AM, James Browne said:

I’ve had a Kodak for 3 years and have used it a bunch.  I love the thing.  I’ve had kayaks, float tubes, canoes and the small inflatable aluminum frame pontoons.  Watermaster is by far better than all of those. Both for its performance and ease of use.  So convenient to just have in the trunk for a day of freshwater in Maine.  Only takes ten minutes to get ready or breakdown. I’ve hiked up to two miles with it easy, but it’s something like 45# which is a decent load for a frameless pack.  It rows great, even kicks ok with fins, and I have an electric for it if I need to go far in Stillwater.  Thing is really rugged to.  I highly recommend them.

Great recommendation.  Why did you choose the Kodiak over the Grizzly?

23 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Great recommendation.  Why did you choose the Kodiak over the Grizzly?

Not a choice so much, a friend of mine had back surgery and was no longer going to use his.  Gave me a killer deal, he wanted to see it get used and knew I’d be up for that.  I’d been wanting to get one for a while but the price tag turned me away.  After having one for a while now I almost want to buy another in case they ever go out of production, and to take friends out.  The kodiak is a bit bigger than the grizzly, I don’t have any first hand experience with the grizzly though.  
The watermaster let’s me get to places that lots of other watercraft can’t get to, and it doesn’t spook fish at all.

74E896E7-D5F4-442E-B8AE-91CE0E251909.jpeg.d82595a2a45a264fa6946086cb175213.jpeg90F27F55-2365-491E-9246-E7718C1F0382.jpeg.3afe4f33a862595859ff2c8c2e1e47da.jpeg00FF6B52-4435-421F-B4CB-85087CCFEC0B.jpeg.cb3fba4c14b5bb22db0a2ea4610bf677.jpeg7BCA81A6-4BBA-49BB-93B2-7C5053B8C5AA.jpeg.279355398ffff3adfb52f345d606477c.jpeg5B34C494-DA2F-499D-85CC-C2417526532E.jpeg.75249facc196099c2c0a3c5162e04888.jpeg

5 hours ago, James Browne said:

Not a choice so much, a friend of mine had back surgery and was no longer going to use his.  Gave me a killer deal, he wanted to see it get used and knew I’d be up for that.  I’d been wanting to get one for a while but the price tag turned me away.  After having one for a while now I almost want to buy another in case they ever go out of production, and to take friends out.  The kodiak is a bit bigger than the grizzly, I don’t have any first hand experience with the grizzly though.  
The watermaster let’s me get to places that lots of other watercraft can’t get to, and it doesn’t spook fish at all.

74E896E7-D5F4-442E-B8AE-91CE0E251909.jpeg.d82595a2a45a264fa6946086cb175213.jpeg90F27F55-2365-491E-9246-E7718C1F0382.jpeg.3afe4f33a862595859ff2c8c2e1e47da.jpeg00FF6B52-4435-421F-B4CB-85087CCFEC0B.jpeg.cb3fba4c14b5bb22db0a2ea4610bf677.jpeg7BCA81A6-4BBA-49BB-93B2-7C5053B8C5AA.jpeg.279355398ffff3adfb52f345d606477c.jpeg5B34C494-DA2F-499D-85CC-C2417526532E.jpeg.75249facc196099c2c0a3c5162e04888.jpeg

Those monsters speak volumes in favor of getting one.  I'll definitely have to look at used ones.  Nearly 2K new seems excessive, especially because I don't see myself using it more than a handful of times a year.  Thanks for the feedback!

Wow. Cool thread!

I'd like a boat but have no real place to store  or vehicle to tow it.  I've thought about kayaks, but I have stamina issues & medical problems.  I'd need a small motor. 

Something I could pop out of my trunk would be superb!!

Stupid question time!

How durable are the blow up sections?

Good for 2 adults?  

Would you take it in back bays and calm seas?

10 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Wow. Cool thread!

I'd like a boat but have no real place to store  or vehicle to tow it.  I've thought about kayaks, but I have stamina issues & medical problems.  I'd need a small motor. 

Stupid question time!

Good for 2 adults?  

Not stupid questions at all.  The raft is rated to class IV rapids, so very durable. I accidentally dragged mine over some broken bottles at a launch (I hate trash people!!!) and it didn’t even scratch it.  I’ve bounced it off rocks and bridges again no visible damage.  It’s basically a mini frameless version of the big whitewater rafts guides use.

Never tried, but would not recommend for 2 adults.  They make a larger framed version good for two or three adults but that takes up a lot more space, more of a trailer or truck bed situation.

Ive done tidal rivers, flats, and sheltered back bays in the salt to good effect.  Never taken it ocean side.  My years fishing/guiding/surfing have taught me great respect for the ocean, I prefer to be standing on rocks/sand or in a very seaworthy boat.

When you add the electric motor it does make it heavy and awkward to row, so it expands your range but makes it harder to get into the really sneaky spots.

cheers

12 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Wow. Cool thread!

Stupid question time!

Good for 2 adults?  

In my research, hypalon is better than PVC, but there are good PVC patches, plus PVC is cheaper.  The Water Master boats pride themselves on shallow draft, so they work well going down rivers and on calm lakes.  I would imagine going against a strong current, high winds, or waves would make for a very unpleasant day.  These rafts where you can stand up and fish are very appealing for certain water bodies.  A lot of people seem to like Skaddens.  They may track better in more difficult conditions.  Not having paddled any of these craft, don't give anything I've typed too much value.  Other than, low draft boats would suck in windy conditions, going against the current, and waves.