Mainiac

Ain't no fish !

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Perfect conditions this morning. Overcast with a dropping tide with no wind. I fully expected to catch fish until I got sick of it. Nope. Three and a half hours of relentless fishing yeilded five bass no bigger than 20" ! I should have got fifty fish minimum given conditions in the middle of June !! WTF !!!!!

I guess the fishery is about dead. Might need to take up freshwater again !  ****in' blows !!!!

47 mins ago, Mainiac said:

Perfect conditions this morning. Overcast with a dropping tide with no wind. I fully expected to catch fish until I got sick of it. Nope. Three and a half hours of relentless fishing yeilded five bass no bigger than 20" ! I should have got fifty fish minimum given conditions in the middle of June !! WTF !!!!!

I guess the fishery is about dead. Might need to take up freshwater again !  ****in' blows !!!!

I hear ya Mal, I used to take vacation just to fish, 2 to 3 weeks at a time, this year was the last year I will ever do that...I didnt do that well for the time in either...My buddy just sent me a picture of 50 plus smallmouths caught in one morning on a local lake, probably go back that way myself...

It's the inconsistency that can be maddening. Today's bite is no longer a predictor of future results. 

Agreed, it’s been a rougher start we’ve hoped for, a few decent tides and a lot of “meh”.  Water temp is still rather chilly, more and more bait fish are piling in, full moon a coming.  This should turn the switch on, if not we may be in for a very dud of a season.

Are you shore fishing or boat? I'm boat fishing and picked up 3 over 40 on vacation last week.lots of mid and upper 20s and 4 in the upper 30s.I'm also using live bait but there are definitely fish around

From the amount of bait im seeing, it should only be a matter of time before the bass are here in full force. Been keeping to myself and have been finding fish. Some tides have been more productive than others, but in Jersey I would go weeks without a bass. At least my ratio is drastically improving with the fishing up here. 

Don't know where you guys are looking, but seems to be a normal, healthy number of fish around here.  AAMOF, at 11:00 AM today, while I was driving over the Sheepscot River between Wiscasset and Edgecomb, there were fish breaking all over.  Could have caught fish right off the bridge...

19 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Diddo, waited for these tides and times,Hear a little here and there, but at least 4-5 of us with 25+ years fishing here are into the the 1000 casts per fish. Absolutely sucks !. There is one definite scenario that's not helping, 3 areas here has very little current on dropping tides? no rips , and of course no bait. The other issue is so much muck where there never was any. Sand eels certainly are not going to be there. And that's was a 30 year happening. Fingers crossed,:rav:

Drifted in Casco bay this morning on a friends boat. Caught several nice fat fish up to 28". Would have done better if not for this incessant N/W wind that wasn't supposed to be there. All fish came to a six inch herring hairwing fly.

I hate it when I am struggling to find fish and everyone else says they are finding them everywhere.  How about giving Mainiac - and all of us -  some more tips on the type of habitat you're finding them, time of day, tide, lure and bait tips and so on?

I just finished the bottom paint on my ocean boat and will be launching soon.  So, no striper input from me.  I have been fishing the fresh hard for smallies and pike and it's been fantastic.  I am hitting Winnipesaukee again tomorrow.

32 mins ago, Topside2 said:

How about giving Mainiac - and all of us -  some more tips on the type of habitat you're finding them, time of day, tide, lure and bait tips and so on?

Oh come on, he just posted that he caught fish up to 28" - he should be giving US those details! ;) I haven't caught or seen one bigger than 26" yet this year. Hoping to change that tonight with with a night time yak trip. 

3 hours ago, drmevo said:

Oh come on, he just posted that he caught fish up to 28" - he should be giving US those details! ;) I haven't caught or seen one bigger than 26" yet this year. Hoping to change that tonight with with a night time yak trip. 

It didn't happen without pictures...

15 hours ago, drmevo said:

I have been on this site for many years.I just bought a dark grey key west 239 this year.I believe I fish the same areas as you.I have been out twice a week and the fish I have caught have topped out at 26 inches.I am seeing tons of sand eels and fish on my depth finder but haven't caught a lot.I did snap a nice one off in a rip Sunday.I fish out of York but  travel down to nh by boat mostly...keep us posted on night trip!