dmac95

Best Bang for Buck 20-21 ft cc/dc

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Sea Hunt

Hydra Sports

Parker

GW

BW 

 

in that order... am i missing anything? Prefer Yammy/Honda over Merc/Johnson from stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wel...you're saying bang for buck, not fit and finish

 

I'd give cape horn a look too

 

who we kiddin?  Boat prices are insane, no such thing as bang for buck unless you build your own in your garage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd move the Parker up the list and add in some of the smaller names such as Stiegercraft and North Coast.  I would not keep BW on the list unless you mean actual bang as you slam through a chop.

 

sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If price is a prime consideration, look to see whether builders like Steiger make a bare-bones version aimed at the comemercial market.  

 

I don't know whether they do.  But years ago, when Sea Ox first started makiing boats, I bought a 20-foot Sea Ox commercial, which wasn't much more than a bare hull with a loose center console that I could put wherever I wanted it.  Had to put on my own lights, my own cleats, my own wiring, etc.

 

The bottom,line was that I got an affordable fishing boat set up just the way that I wanted it.  No fluff, just function.  Bought it mostly for Long Island Sound, but while I lived on the Sound, I ran it out to Montauk and caught shark 30 miles south of the Point, and after I moved to the South Shore, ran it all over the ocean for tuna, shark, etc., until I could afford something bigger.

 

So check what Steiger, maybe Parker, and the builders of any other boats that you see the commercial fleet using, and decide whether you can live without padded seats and fancy trim, in order to fish efficiently at a lower cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, makorider said:

wel...you're saying bang for buck, not fit and finish

 

I'd give cape horn a look too

 

who we kiddin?  Boat prices are insane, no such thing as bang for buck unless you build your own in your garage

Well, it would be a winter re/build fixer upper. I already have a 18 cc hydra sport. Does the job but the line to board is getting quite long. 6 people is bit much so was thinking a 21' upgrade. Want to spend under 12k and that's if the motor is good.

As for the boat prices.... hopefully they drop once people realize they get the sea tow bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CWitek said:

If price is a prime consideration, look to see whether builders like Steiger make a bare-bones version aimed at the comemercial market.  

 

I don't know whether they do.  But years ago, when Sea Ox first started makiing boats, I bought a 20-foot Sea Ox commercial, which wasn't much more than a bare hull with a loose center console that I could put wherever I wanted it.  Had to put on my own lights, my own cleats, my own wiring, etc.

 

The bottom,line was that I got an affordable fishing boat set up just the way that I wanted it.  No fluff, just function.  Bought it mostly for Long Island Sound, but while I lived on the Sound, I ran it out to Montauk and caught shark 30 miles south of the Point, and after I moved to the South Shore, ran it all over the ocean for tuna, shark, etc., until I could afford something bigger.

 

So check what Steiger, maybe Parker, and the builders of any other boats that you see the commercial fleet using, and decide whether you can live without padded seats and fancy trim, in order to fish efficiently at a lower cost.

You bought yours new? Got some serious balls to go 30 miles south of mtk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dmac95 said:

You bought yours new? Got some serious balls to go 30 miles south of mtk. 

Yes,  

 

Bought what was essentially a bare hull, and rigged it to fish.  Didn't have to pay for any fluff that didn't help put fisjh in the boat.

 

Running it that far offshore wasn't really a big deal.  Actually took the same boat farther from Fire Island.  What people don't realize is that most of the worst threats--dangerous rips, bad inlets and such--are all close to shore.  Five miles off or fifty, the hazards are about the same.  

 

You just need to understand the weather, how it builds, what conditions are likely to cause surprises--never trust a supposedly stalled cold front--and be willing to pick up and run for home the second you sense that conditions are changing for the worse.

 

Back then, I was young and without much spare cash, and didn't even have LORAN on the boat--I ran by watch, compass, and tach, with depthfinder assistance (although I put a LORAN on a couple years later, when I got some spare cash).  But I had been operating small boats since I was in grade school, knew how to deal with fog, and was a decent dead reckoning navigator.  

 

Never felt uncomfortable out there, although I felt concerned just about every time I had to run a drunk-filled inlet coming home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a 21' Tidewater 210 LXF Yamaha 150 hp for $54,000 in April. The engine is great on gas, Tops out at around 45 mph which is plenty. A dry ride due to flair. Great stereo Etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dmac95 said:

You bought yours new? Got some serious balls to go 30 miles south of mtk. 

meh, look at what Tred Barta used to do canyon trips in a 19ft Mako solo before electronics

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through this 4/5 years ago.  Ended up with a used Wellcraft Sportman 21DC.  Its been an excellent boat for us.  Fishing, cruising, tubing.  It does it all and we've taken it everywhere.  I went with this over others in the price/size class because of the room.  I've not seen a bigger 21' DC boat.  8'6" beam, usable head, 103 gallon fuel tank, fresh water tank and raw water wash down, live well, sink, trim tabs.  We mostly use it in the northeast in saltwater with a 2 week stint in a lake every year.  I've put 450 hours on it since we bought it (only had 75 when we purchased it).

I put 2 9" MFD's on it (Garmin networked) and a new radio. I've replaced most of the pumps due to age and everything is accessible enough.  

We expect to be in the market for something larger in about 2 years.  Looking at 25' (ish) otherwise we would keep the boat forever.

They don't make then anymore but they only stopped around 2018.  2008 began a new design which lasted until the end of the run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you are buying new...

Best bang for the buck is finding a good manufacturer that has not yet been recognized.

You can save a considerable amount ($5-10K) by buying old inventory or at those October sales. You can also crunch numbers and sell after so many years of use and buy up.  I'd recommend staying away from any manufacturer who used wood in core construction.  

 

If you are buying used...

Hire a surveyor and listen to him/her.  In fact, calling a surveyor and asking this question whether you want to buy new or used would be worthwhile.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Assuming you are buying new...

Best bang for the buck is finding a good manufacturer that has not yet been recognized.

You can save a considerable amount ($5-10K) by buying old inventory or at those October sales. You can also crunch numbers and sell after so many years of use and buy up.  I'd recommend staying away from any manufacturer who used wood in core construction.  

 

If you are buying used...

Hire a surveyor and listen to him/her.  In fact, calling a surveyor and asking this question whether you want to buy new or used would be worthwhile.  

 

Used. I’m more interested in boat type and model rather than if it works or not. I bought my first boat without a mechanic. Came with my own set of tools did transom wobble test and motor compression test. The rest I fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.