Harf

Why judge History with Modern values? Haven’t our values evolved since the

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

What is the benefit if we've already moved past those times?  Maybe its the motivation for do this that should be questioned?

Thoughts?

Because the people who are doing this, never studied history.  One of the first things you learn in the disciplined study of history is not to judge past events by current standards.

The left is getting more and more pathetic, they don't even make me laugh any more. 

I listened to a Pod cast from Niall Ferguson who made that exact point.  Imagine if we held our Voting Standards and Qualifications to historical values.
These people are really very ignorant but the MSM helps them control the Narrative. 

Just now, Harf said:

I listened to a Pod cast from Niall Ferguson who made that exact point.  Imagine if we held our Voting Standards and Qualifications to historical values.
These people are really very ignorant but the MSM helps them control the Narrative. 

If we did that, that guillotine on the Capitol lawn would be dull from over use by now.

4 hours ago, Harf said:

What is the benefit if we've already moved past those times?  Maybe its the motivation for do this that should be questioned?

Thoughts?

Haven’t our values evolved  

No!  If anything our values are devolving so rapidly that by the end of the decade the majority of America won’t have any values at all.

The Dems wouldn’t be able to sell any thing they stand for to the sheep minded ....other than the wokeism, cancel  culture ,let’s pay for college tuition with tax payers money,and joes money tit ...other than the above what are the Dems trying to sell,offer  or should I say give a way .....about those college loans ,there are govt forgiveness programs already in place ....the pretty people just don’t like  them ...LOL LOL LOL 

IMO our values had evolved from the days of Slavery till about 20 years ago.  Then I agree they devolved but for people to judge age old history through a Modern Lens is silly

5 hours ago, Riverboat33 said:

One of the first things you learn in the disciplined study of history is not to judge past events by current standards.

this statement is meaningless

and I think you made it up on the spot,

3 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

this statement is meaningless

and I think you made it up on the spot,

Nobody really cares what you think or if you ever make another post here again.

If you didn’t judge history, you wouldn’t be able to tell if we are getting better as a nation. We do make value judgments…that’s human. It’s important to understand the context of WHY things happened as they did and how to improve. 

It seems more like a way for the liberals/woke to make themselves feel superior. They claim their moral superiority against their contemporaries. But instead of stopping their they use their judgements of history as a way to make themselves seem superior to the heroes of the past, superior to people who truly were visionary and great. It is another method of virtue signaling, they are so great that they not only know slavery is bad and love black people but people like Thomas Jefferson didn't understand that. 

It also gives them further reason to denounce our country and our way of life. By making the founders and the people who built the country seem like bad people they can try to justify changing our way of life. Basically "If our founding fathers didn't know slavery was bad, were they really smart enough to establish our government and culture"?

2 mins ago, saltydawg said:

If you didn’t judge history, you wouldn’t be able to tell if we are getting better as a nation. We do make value judgments…that’s human. It’s important to understand the context of WHY things happened as they did and how to improve. 

You are right, we need to judge against history to tell where we are today. History is about the only measuring stick to compare against today. But is should be used as a comparison and measuring tool to learn, not a way to decry what previous generations did and villainize people because they lived a common lifestyle. Founding fathers owned slaves, it's what people at the time did. We see that it was not right, but it was normal at the time. Does that make their accomplishments any less important? Protests of the last year would suggest that there are groups that believe that to be true.