Punch63

Wind Knots

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Looking for some thoughts on wind knots, I just changed to a different braid on my reels this year. 

The line I changed was Power Pro Maxcuatro, a line I was very happy with, but change to Diawa's

Samurai. I was fishing spooks yesterday, and was getting wind knot after wind knot ( nice calm day ).

The question I have, is one type of bait thrown more susceptible to getting wind knots than the other,

or is one brand of braid more susceptible to wind knots.

I never had wind knots with the power pro, really regretting buying that 1500' ft spool.

Wind knots usually are caused by an over filled spool or the line on the spool not being tightly packed. The type of line does not matter. 

Some lures such as spooks and pencils  can cause slack in the line as you work them.

When I use pencils I move my hand high on the fore grip and hold the line to make sure it goes on the reel with tension. This doesn’t really work with a spook so you have to be conscious of your line and always try to reel with tension. 

You will get more wind knots with some brands of braid because unless you are using a bait casting reel, the line will be getting twisted when you reel it in on a spinning reel. The only way to lessen the twisting is with a good swivel that is loose enough for the line to spin/unwind as you reel in the line.

The looser, more supple the braid, the more likely it is to knot up. Stiffer lines don't twist/knot up as much, but the trade off is usually the casting distance you can achieve with that line.

My suggestion? 

Become more adept at untangling braid wind knots. If you do, there won't be much that you won't be able to untie.

Heck, you'll eventually start looking at bird nest tangles as a minor nuisance....

I frequently hook my lure to a tree in the back corner of my yard and open the bail and walk as far as I can up towards the street. Then I close the bail and crank it back in with rod slightly bent.

This packs the line on tightly. 

Between that and closing the bail by hand and making sure line is taunt before retrieving I haven't had any issues. 

Last year there were small fish in close. Like 25 -30 feet. 

It was hard to cast that close. It was dark and I got wind knots on both rods that day!

Is line roller spinning free? I know you just changed one out.....

On 2021/06/14 at 9:22 PM, Punch63 said:

I never had wind knots with the power pro, really regretting buying that 1500' ft spool.

Punch,

1. What reel are you using

2, Breaking strain of Maxcuatro you were using

3. Breaking strain of Samurai you are spooled with now

4. Photo of the spool from the side - need to see how full it is

I would think the possibility of the new line of spool being overfilled compared to the previous spool is a possibility. I'm figuring you were tossing spooks before? Spooks and pencils are one class of lures that the retrieve can be problematic due to the changing tension on the line. Needles are similar due to almost little or no tension on the line. Lures like these three can put the line back on loose which can be problematic on the next cast. Braid has to go back on the reel with a reasonable amount of tension on the line.

I only seem to get wind knots on braid 15lb test or less. FWIW. I never get wind knots on 20lb or more. I use powerpro original only. I do underspool a little when I put on new line…

Some reels are also prone to wind knots. One of my reels - Penn Spinfisher Long cast, I got 12 windknots the one night. That particular reel no matter what braid I have put on it has given me grief and I have no confidence in which is why I will likely run it over with my truck, missing fish because of knots will drive anyone mad. Fully aware of spooling/over spooling issues, type of braid, rod the reel is paired with. From what I have read this reel is notorious for this. With that being said, Maxcuatro is my go-to and have never had issues with this type of braid, no breaks even with 40lb braid on 100lb shark from the surf. 

8 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Punch,

1. What reel are you using

2, Breaking strain of Maxcuatro you were using

3. Breaking strain of Samurai you are spooled with now

4. Photo of the spool from the side - need to see how full it is

40lb on both lines, ive since lost some line, because of the knots, the winds knots were not a problem casting other plugs, just when using the spook

20210616_140355.jpg

I would say issue is due to slack (or at least not always tight) line using the spook.

I would suggest that every 10 casts or so, you wind the line under tension between your thumb and forefinger ie dont worry about imparting any action, just aim for tight line.

Out of interest, Samurai braids are thinner than what you are used to; mostly because Daiwa mark Samurai at or very close to actual breaking strain.

Samurai 55lb would be a close match to Maxcuatro 40lb

Samurai 40lb would be a close match to Maxcuatro 30lb

Posted (edited) · Report post

A windcheater type tin, such as a kastmaster will do away with the issue.

If you're looking to bounce around a bucktail with a twister tail

in a trade wind that's when you're going to come across line lay

issues.

This doesn't fix the problem. It assists with the problem.

There are other factors that need to be considered.

MN - LC GUIDES - NGC or COF spacing. It can also be modified.

The footprint from the guide alters the action of your rod.

Either way you're not wrong. Don't take the fun out of it. :)

Trial and error. ;)

Edited by CastingsFun

@CastingsFun really nice video to explain line wrapping on guides.  I've never fully understood how it happened at all.  Also gives me a new appreciation for how much effort that is put into designing guides. 

It was, however, weird as it has no audio at all and had me scrambling to try and figure out what was wrong with my audio this time.  :D 

Pay attention to what your line is doing as you reel.

Popping topwater will lay line at uneven tensions, which can cause loops or overlapping. 

ALWAYS close the bail manually after a cast (I close the bail as soon as the lure hits the water).

When you close the bail, pull excess slack away from reel with thumb and forefinger before retrieve (manual bail close and line pull can be done in 1 motion).

Pay special attention when using topwaters or any other floating lures.

Keep at least 1/8" of space between line and spool lip when putting on line.

I check my spool after every 1 or 2 casts to make sure there are no loops or stragglers (sometimes I forget but it does become habit).