wasabi_VA

Any suggestions for a new rain jacket for fishing?

22 posts in this topic

My $99 North Face gore-tex rain jacket is ready to be replaced. New stuff looks expensive but should be better. Anybody shop all these and have any recommendations? I want something I can pack along on warmer spring/summer/fall kayak trips when I occasionally get caught out in the rain. I have a heavier goretex jacket for colder weather.

My current jacket gets soaked on the outside so it feels wet and clammy against my skin even in the areas it isn't leaking. Wondering if I should get a jacket with a inner liner to help with this. I might even look at a cheap frog tog jacket but those seem so thin I worry they will also make me feel wet thru the material.

I was out yesterday in a thin long-sleeve technical shirt because it was hot but then a thunderstorm drenched me thru the jacket and I did get a bit of a chill from the temp drop.

I'm with you in this question. I have a drytop, but that's overkill in the warm months. Been eying some of 'splash/paddle' jackets at NRS.

I use a Grunden’s rain jacket that is light and keeps me dry.  I think it was under $100 on Amazon. 

I use Guy Cotten.  Some of the tops I have are still kicking after 21 years. Check out the product line. 

4 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

My current jacket gets soaked on the outside so it feels wet and clammy against my skin even in the areas it isn't leaking

Sounds like you just need to wash it and retreat it with a spray waterproofing. 

3 hours ago, gellfex said:

I'm with you in this question. I have a drytop, but that's overkill in the warm months. Been eying some of 'splash/paddle' jackets at NRS.

I was going to recommend an NRS splash top ... I have one that's getting a bit long in the tooth. It's light, portable/packable, breathable, and relatively dry (in a driving rain it will soak through, but I think that's because it needs to be retreated again). Best of all they are cheap ... got one for under $60. I can use it in conjunction with a fleece under for warmth or through a Frogg Togg fishing parka (the kind made of the crepe paper stuff ...) over for better rain protection.

I agree with Atv223

Ive done this many times,  works great.... nikwax tx direct wash-in for garments without any latex,  rain jackets, etc. 

41BLy55KSSL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.167e7dc3fe0fecb9c41bea8b4bdb67a8.jpg

Tx direct spray-on for the dry suit with latex wrist gaskets, latex will melt in the dryer.....

31q5ysU3BfL._AC_SY1000_.jpg.25483cbc623738961bb745e22fce441a.jpg

For a dirt cheap option, I have a poncho from the 80's that doubles as an emergency tarp. It goes down to your knees which makes it great for a kayak or a stadium on a rainy day. Folds up into a small bag. 

For when I’m caught short, like Friday afternoon 10 days ago when we had that thunderstorm roll through … rolls up into a small dry-bag, XXXXXL to fit over PFD and easy to put on, because when you need it the conditions are probably a bit frisky already …. and lastly the CG will find the body easily with all the reflectors

2C6D1A61-1731-4452-9068-4595F39E527D.png.32256e1ebd8421c75b0a0d139989a73d.png

1 hour ago, Africaster said:

For when I’m caught short,

.rolls up into a small dry-bag, XXXXXL to fit over PFD and easy to put on, because when you need it the conditions are probably a bit frisky already …. and lastly the CG will find the body easily with all the reflectors

I did this exact thing with a Columbia breathable rain jacket as well, not yellow but a couple sizes bigger, fits right over the pfd in a matter of seconds...

Originally got it that large for when surfcasting to fit over cool weather gear in rainy weather. Breathable dry tops also, they're  nice for splashes & such but when it starts pouring raining, they're useless...

has anybody used the stormr nano jacket? I'm also interested in a breathable rain jacket. I want a zip up front. I use a windbreaker and it works well but looking for something more waterproof.

3 hours ago, no name said:

has anybody used the stormr nano jacket? I'm also interested in a breathable rain jacket. I want a zip up front. I use a windbreaker and it works well but looking for something more waterproof.

Again Frog Toggs. A lot cheaper than Stormer. Full zip. And light enough weight for hot summer days.I've had the cheapest set noow for over 10 years, And it's time to replace it only because my son borrowed it, and fell. Got kinda tattered up But still dry.