Abu 7000

Rate this topic

mtl50

10 hours ago, redfin said:

I'm curious what the OP doesn't like about the LW? I went from Penn 140's and 200's to the stock 7000c3 some time ago and couldn't be happier. I might be able to squeak out a few extra yards without the LW but honestly it's a pleasure to fish with. Granted I'm tossing heavy payloads of bait.

I just thought that I might get a little more distance w/o the level wind. That’s all. 
Mike

Tight Lines and High Tides Forever! mtl50

18 hours ago, jimmy z said:

One more thing,  you can remove the line carriage and worm gear for now and just leave the worm gear cover until something else comes along :howdy:

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. 
Mike

To everyone else, thanks for helping me out. That is what SOL is all about. Going to play around with it and see what I can learn. 
Tight Lines
Mike

21 hours ago, ecks said:

Maybe keep the Abu stock and use for another fishing method. You can prob get a Penn Squall Mag for the same price as the conversion accessories and have two good setups. BTW, I use levelwinds for surf casting all of the time with zero issues. 

I think that is probably what I am going to do. That reel came to me from a fishing buddy and I will just use it like it is. 

12 hours ago, mtl50 said:

I just thought that I might get a little more distance w/o the level wind. That’s all. 
Mike

I get that. I guess you can try it. Personally I found I can only toss 8 and bait just so far so the few yards I might gain are not worth it for me at least.

I would bet, if you opened up that reel and stripped it down, degrease everything, clean it up and re-grease and oil it up, you would get what your looking for.  If your not sure you want to deal with that, i would gladly do it for you. 

2 hours ago, redfin said:

I get that. I guess you can try it. Personally I found I can only toss 8 and bait just so far so the few yards I might gain are not worth it for me at least.

Only tossing 3-5 tops. After 5 I lose distance. Bad shoulder. Still recovering from surgery. 

56 mins ago, CDubbs said:

I would bet, if you opened up that reel and stripped it down, degrease everything, clean it up and re-grease and oil it up, you would get what your looking for.  If your not sure you want to deal with that, i would gladly do it for you. 

We are going to find out. I’ll just take pics as I go. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, CDubbs said:

:th: , good there easy enough 

ED45E939-BFEF-4049-8B33-5863581B86F8.png

Yikes!! A tad scary but it can’t be too hard. I’ll let you know. Thanks 

Mike

I hate levelwind mechanisms and always have.  Just the water dripping off the wire down onto the worm can slow it down regardless of how well it is lubricated. On the beach, one sand grain in the worm can reduce distance.  You do not need to put as much "umph" into the cast when the levelwind is removed.  The levelwind is sapping your energy, 

Don't forget to remove the plastic idler gear in the tailplate.  It takes energy to spin that thing around even when it is not connected to the worm.

Edited by oc1