Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

As you folks can probably tell I am new to the salt water baitcasters.  I have an Abu 7000 that is in excellent shape. The only thing I don’t like about it is the level wind. Will it hurt anything if i disengage or remove the level wind? Thanks in advance. Mike.

Not at all, in fact a lot of people do. But to convert it you need to add a spacer bar to the frame, or see if you can locate an ABU CT cage and just swap the whole frame. Tons of stuff you can do to that reel. Adding bearings is a nice touch too if the 7000 you have is a bushing reel.  

9 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Not at all, in fact a lot of people do. But to convert it you need to add a spacer bar to the frame, or see if you can locate an ABU CT cage and just swap the whole frame. Tons of stuff you can do to that reel. Adding bearings is a nice touch too if the 7000 you have is a bushing reel.  

I don’t know a whole lot about it. Yet. Guess it’s time to do some research. Thanks!

Jerry Foran of Hookless used to sell Foran bars. Some folks would cut and drill an aluminum dowel.  Then there is the ct. frame if you can find one. 

Post a WTB thread in the best forum. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

One more thing,  you can remove the line carriage and worm gear for now and just leave the worm gear cover until something else comes along :howdy:

Edited by jimmy z

On 6/14/2021 at 8:37 AM, mtl50 said:

As you folks can probably tell I am new to the salt water baitcasters.  I have an Abu 7000 that is in excellent shape. The only thing I don’t like about it is the level wind. Will it hurt anything if i disengage or remove the level wind? Thanks in advance. Mike.

Maybe keep the Abu stock and use for another fishing method. You can prob get a Penn Squall Mag for the same price as the conversion accessories and have two good setups. BTW, I use levelwinds for surf casting all of the time with zero issues. 

I pulled off the worm gear and pawl and it definetly casts much further ....however you will unleash a beast ....you may want to order an adjustable mag from a pro cast shop .and speed bullet ...From a standing simple cast I threw over 105 yds measured ...with a 60 lb shock leader and 14 lb line from a 13 foot ldx break away with no mag and one bead on the brakes ....next cast went into professional back lash ...LOL LOL LOL  ....that reel will cast a good distance ....

I'm curious what the OP doesn't like about the LW? I went from Penn 140's and 200's to the stock 7000c3 some time ago and couldn't be happier. I might be able to squeak out a few extra yards without the LW but honestly it's a pleasure to fish with. Granted I'm tossing heavy payloads of bait.

Let's see some pics of your girl .

HH

Call jerry foran (hookless) he used to be on here. Don't know if he is still working on reels or not, last i knew still had parts. Worth talking to him about Abu"s either way.

2 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Let's see some pics of your girl .

HH

This one is awesome. 

C41899ED-F629-4BB1-84B3-DC9DFEFF1079.jpeg

557CC3F2-D0D9-49F5-976F-3E7AB3CBEE9D.jpeg

9371AD74-F336-4BDA-8381-AACEC6B048C7.jpeg

33AC066C-56AE-4153-B1BE-238E8474EE4C.jpeg

This one gives me less distance. But I really like it. I thought losing the LW would get me a little more. 

B176CCCD-7FBB-4ABF-A299-D870BE22911A.jpeg

8F9534F3-5DEA-4CAD-912B-343727BF9676.jpeg

C513800D-5857-47F5-9A98-4AD906089443.jpeg

2FEAB2B5-F9E7-4AD2-8CB3-B77A36B5C14A.jpeg