Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

As you folks can probably tell I am new to the salt water baitcasters.  I have an Abu 7000 that is in excellent shape. The only thing I don’t like about it is the level wind. Will it hurt anything if i disengage or remove the level wind? Thanks in advance. Mike.

Just now, mtl50 said:

As you folks can probably tell I am new to the salt water baitcasters.  I have an Abu 7000 that is in excellent shape. The only thing I don’t like about it is the level wind. Will it hurt anything if i disengage or remove the level wind? Thanks in advance. Mike.

I don’t blame you.  I took mine off too.  I did not have much success casting with that reel though.  You’d be better off with a 6500 unless you are targeting large fish 

3 mins ago, mtl50 said:

I don't see why not, though you would have to figure out what to replace the openenings with. I could have sworn there were CT conversion kits available. You might want to look into those.  Or, just buy a new CT reel. They are cheap enough that you shouldn't have to mangle with your CL.

41 mins ago, mtl50 said:

Did you try to clean it up and lube it?

35 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I don’t blame you.  I took mine off too.  I did not have much success casting with that reel though.  You’d be better off with a 6500 unless you are targeting large fish 

I also have a 7000i ct c3 mag. I am still learning the saltwater bait caster‘s but with that reel on my 11 foot Lami and 4 ounces I can get over 100 yards. With the 7000 I lose quite a bit. I am looking for a 6500 and I am going to post in the WTB later today. 

Also you can swap the level wind gear out for a ball bearing level wind gear which makes a huge difference

With the right rod and a Roberts Ranger plug I could nearly reach the backing with my 6500 Mag Elite with BB levelwind with 30 lb Berkeley Stealth braid

34 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Also you can swap the level wind gear out for a ball bearing level wind gear which makes a huge difference

With the right rod and a Roberts Ranger plug I could nearly reach the backing with my 6500 Mag Elite with BB levelwind with 30 lb Berkeley Stealth braid

That is the one I want!!

Level wind single and dual ball bearing kits are plentiful for the 4000 - 6000 series. I have only ever seen  BB LW kits for 7000 series at the reel repair parts place in British Columbia (they make them in-house - rhymes with Pikes). They are good people to deal with - got lots of stuff from them. A 6000 or 6500 with a dual BB on it a BB idler and good spool bearings will fly. Presently a big fan of Akios - remind me of the Chrome Rockets.

Submit a WTB for a Mag Elite (or equivalent - Abu made a number of reels at that time ( before off shore junk and bubblepaks) that were identical to the Mag Elite - just not stamped on them) they are out there.

1 hour ago, speedwell said:

Level wind single and dual ball bearing kits are plentiful for the 4000 - 6000 series. I have only ever seen  BB LW kits for 7000 series at the reel repair parts place in British Columbia (they make them in-house - rhymes with Pikes). They are good people to deal with - got lots of stuff from them. A 6000 or 6500 with a dual BB on it a BB idler and good spool bearings will fly. Presently a big fan of Akios - remind me of the Chrome Rockets.

I was going to ask for a source for the 7000 dual bearing level wind. 

You beat me to it