Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

I used to really hate commercial bass fishing but I’ve changed my views a bit.  I think there could be a perfect balance between commercial harvest and rec catch and release and or harvest to sustain a thriving fisherie if we could all just work together and talk it out face to face without any bs lobbyists and politicians involved. That goes for most issues in this world......  a friendly conversation between only the top players, comm and rec in this striped bass game would go a long way......  

3 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Because I believe catch and release as it’s been practiced kills far more fish than commercial fishing.  Not just based on an outdated chart but from 50 years of personal observation and participating in it.

How has that worked out for cod and winter flounder?

3 hours ago, MAArcher said:

Why no?  I can take you to a pond where you can catch and release sunfish and bass all day long.   I’ll take you out on a boat and you can catch and release mackerel a dozen at a time.  If the only thing that matters to you is feeling a rod bend?

You clearly do not understand.  Why does this site exist?  It’s the first word in the name.

7 mins ago, MAArcher said:

So educate me.

You said catch and release kills more than commercial fishing. Clearly that’s not the case with cod, winter flounder and countless other species that have been decimated by commercial fishing. 

29 mins ago, z-man said:

You said catch and release kills more than commercial fishing. Clearly that’s not the case with cod, winter flounder and countless other species that have been decimated by commercial fishing. 

Apples and oranges.  Hoards of people aren’t taking a weeks vacation to sit on the beach and kill baby cod all day.  And no ones trawl netting striper.  Try again.

3 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Apples and oranges.  Hoards of people aren’t taking a weeks vacation to sit on the beach and kill baby cod all day.  And no ones trawl netting striper.  Try again.

They might if there was still some cod left to be caught. :laugh:

8 mins ago, MAArcher said:

And no ones trawl netting striper. 

Some stats still use a Gillnet. 

1 hour ago, shark lobster said:

There seems to be a lack of fish here in ma. But other states have been doing well with bass big bass to! 

Chuck.

If you speak with  anyone who fished through the crash of the late 70s and 80s they'll say the same thing.     In general the fishing was horrible.   However whatever fish were left were large.  That's when the despicable  practice of yo yoing pogies got its start.  Boat fishermen  located the few remaining schools of large fish, and  drop pogies weighted with rerod,  spark plugs, sinkers and steel  on them.  They'd hammer the few remaining  fish.    Killing many more as collateral damage as the fish ate the loaded pogies, unable to digest the iron and lead they were weighted with.  

It's tough to tell someone the fishing is bad when they come in with a load of 30-50 pounders.

The lack of big fish are one thing- to be expected, but I’ve noticed even less schoolies in traditional spots. Maybe not so much a lack of numbers, but a lack in surface feeds.

i feel like that’s what’s causing the panic. The lack of the super abundant schoolies spread out through MA, at least that gave us hope- at least we saw numbers. Now the ocean seems significantly emptier than ever. What gives? Big water temp changes keeping them down or just cooler temps on average?  Those schoolies couldn’t have been decimated in a year.

Other than early spring here in CT I haven't had too much of size or numbers going on since myself. There will still be the group of people who say the fisheries call on the decline in the population as a "cycle" and not truly a problem, a lot of them rely on the species to make a living...