Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Running Ape said:

I’ve been freshwater fishing later than ever. 

Same here.  In addition to the population decline, spring weather on the water has become as unpredictable as hurricane season.  

40 mins ago, bassturds said:

Plenty of these arounnd. Big fish have been scarce for me the past 2 years. I don’t like it!! 

9EFE8DB5-A8F1-40DD-B15F-E04AECE517A8.jpeg

You'd be surprised bassturds, there's a lot of serious  veteran canal guys who have all but given up chasing  big fish.  They switched over to schoolies on light tackle. 

49 mins ago, bob_G said:

You'd be surprised bassturds, there's a lot of serious  veteran canal guys who have all but given up chasing  big fish.  They switched over to schoolies on light tackle. 

That’s crazy. But I do have to say catching these guys on light tackle is a blast. If I can’t get any big fish might as well have fun catching these little guys 

22 hours ago, ged said:

So sad that MA commercial season is expanding to try to get the quota that hasn’t been met in a few years and probably doesn’t exist at this point. 

So disappointing. It’s scary to think about the damage it’s doing to the fishery. MA quota for 2021 is 735,000 pounds. Let’s say the average comm fish is 30 pounds, cause let’s be honest, there’s either 26” fish or 26 pound  and up fish, not much in between. With those numbers, it will take 24,500 fish averaging 30 pounds to fill the quota. We definitely don’t have 24,500 spawning size fish to spare, not even half of that. 

I logged my catches from last year and caught over 100 stripers in the Boston Area and one was legal size to keep (barely and I released it). Granted I do a lot of topwater when smaller fish are more prevalent but I do a lot of chunking as well. You would think with over 100 fish I would have percentage wise had to come across some cow or larger fish. Nope. I would say 99% were in the 20-26" range. Baffling.

On 6/15/2021 at 1:48 PM, danny_a said:

At least when the stripers finally make a comeback in a decade or two everyone's striper license plates should be in.

Yeah and I'll be in the ground. :point:

21 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

So disappointing. It’s scary to think about the damage it’s doing to the fishery. MA quota for 2021 is 735,000 pounds. Let’s say the average comm fish is 30 pounds, cause let’s be honest, there’s either 26” fish or 26 pound  and up fish, not much in between. With those numbers, it will take 24,500 fish averaging 30 pounds to fill the quota. We definitely don’t have 24,500 spawning size fish to spare, not even half of that. 

Commercial fishing is the least of our worries. Compare recreationally release mortality to commercial take.

Discard-Mortality.jpg.406d796b3e47e7060041af996f022ae1.jpg

3 mins ago, MAArcher said:

Commercial fishing is the least of our worries. Compare recreationally release mortality to commercial take.

Discard-Mortality.jpg.406d796b3e47e7060041af996f022ae1.jpg

Oh no. Not this chart again.