Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

10 mins ago, z-man said:

We can all clearly see that there are problems with the Bass population but we still have a commercial bass season in MA. Ridiculous!

Yeah, I don't get this.  Ass backwards thinking.  You know when they'll start doing something, when we see a decline in bsb, scup, and tog...Always two steps behind. 

Maybe if we increase the days to commercial fish to 8 days a week, we can get close to a 50% quota filled this year.

57 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I wonder if the sea robin explosion is related to a lack of bass? Do bass eat them?

It probably is the reason why there are so many sea robins and sea bass too the last few years. 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

We can all clearly see that there are problems with the Bass population but we still have a commercial bass season in MA. Ridiculous!

X100

1 hour ago, danny_a said:

Yeah, I don't get this.  Ass backwards thinking.  You know when they'll start doing something, when we see a decline in bsb, scup, and tog...Always two steps behind. 

Maybe if we increase the days to commercial fish to 8 days a week, we can get close to a 50% quota filled this year.

If they (MA commercial) hit 50% fishing 7 days a week what % of those fish were really from block island? 

17 mins ago, ged said:

If they (MA commercial) hit 50% fishing 7 days a week what % of those fish were really from block island? 

Yep.  And you were only allowed to fish commercially on certain days of the week.  Anyone in the know who's fished in the business, in general,  knows that's a crock of ****.

Enjoy those last few cows, you might not see them for another 10+ years like last time.  Raising the limit to 36" might be good thing like back in the early 90s, but there weren't nearly as many poachers/people fishing from shore or the boat when the bass were making a comeback.  This next recovery may take longer.

So sad that MA commercial season is expanding to try to get the quota that hasn’t been met in a few years and probably doesn’t exist at this point. 

22 hours ago, zeke04 said:

I wonder if a new stunted subspecies of stripers has evolved that doesn't get to the size that they used to attain. There have been unbelievable numbers of "micros" the last couple of years that don't seem to come back much bigger.

This could absolutely happen after 200+ years of slaughtering the biggest best bass in the gene pool. The fish are forced to reach sexual maturity at a smaller size causing them to stay smaller. 

5 hours ago, z-man said:

:eek:

23 hours ago, t_man7 said:

If even a fraction of the work put into saving the seals was put into saving the stripers

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

We have a winner !!!

Unlike some other's do, I don't keep a written log. But since having a smartphone (I have an iPhone), going back maybe 8-10 years, snapped a quick picture of every single fish I have ever caught fresh and salt, released and kept. The iPhone also has GPS and time so a record of when and exactly where. Can plot them on a map and over time. I have even set 8-10 waypoints this way.

Summary: Saltwater - by this time of year at least had multiple pics of schoolie feeds before, and some big ones.

Haven't taken a picture yet this year in same spots.

3 hours ago, ged said:

So sad that MA commercial season is expanding to try to get the quota that hasn’t been met in a few years and probably doesn’t exist at this point. 

sad story indeed 

I’ve lived on the cape for six years (my third stretch living here). The first three years I had little trouble catching legal fish from shore, right through July. Since then it’s been a very steep decline, to the point I’ve been freshwater fishing later than ever. I’ve striper fished with the fly rod a few times as more of a ceremonial act than anything else else. I’d rather sneak around ponds looking for largemouth that are not in steep decline.

Instead of bracketing my time off for prime striper days (late July), I’m going camping near trout streams this summer. I hope a few fly caught blues and funnies will partly fill the gaping hole left by bass. It’s hard to describe the hollow feeling I get remembering late 90s bass fishing. It was great, and, I suspect never to be repeated.

Numbers are down, water temperatures are up. My guess is we will eventually have winter surf bass like Delaware and Virginia do, but very few summer fish within ten years. 

Btw: I completely blame two things (warmer temps aside): the gutless behavior of regulators who have abdicated responsibility, and those who lobbied hard to keep limits high and the season open. They only care if more boats, rods, gas, trailers, fish, etc are sold.