Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

I have a group of guys and many on whom track/log things, are more experienced fisherman than I am who are also making note of the poor fishing. They had some quality fish earlier on out west (I fish Long Island). It’s dying. Also spoke with an old timer out east yesterday afternoon after having fished through the night at multiple spots, beaches, bays, inlets to catch one small blue. Yesterday tried again to no avail. Not even a single bite. He shared with me he feels and shares the same issues I and other have been having. He mentioned he is friends with a charter captain out of orient who seems to share an opinion or two with me. They have been catching tons of shorts to 26 occasional slot. No slobs. The migration was different this year specifically the east end of Long Island. Almost like many of the larger fish traveled north rather than along the SS. More reports of bigger fish in northern states than here on LI. Reports from others/local shops state the fish being caught locally are in 40-50 feet of water (which explains why kayaks and boats are having ‘some’ success), which would explain why the surf guys including myself are out there having more piss poor outings than productive ones. Not sure what this says about the fishery itself but I will say that, after the last weeks effort and sleepless nights, I’ll think twice moving forward. Nothing is motivating me to sacrifice sleep. 

6 mins ago, rst3 said:

Come one come all.

Mad cunner action in the Ditch. 

Bring your Boga

What should i throw in the ditch for robins?

2 hours ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

The fishery has Totally collapsed.   I haven’t caught a fish over 20” all season.  I’m selling all of my gear off soon. Going back to fresh water fishing..... 

:laugh::howdy:

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

What should i throw in the ditch for robins?

There’s some confusion here. The canal is where the epic cunner bite is. The epic robin bite is on the beaches. :laugh:

8 hours ago, rst3 said:

Switched it up and fished N.Boston overnight Saturday. Handful of bait-sized bass on big girl plugs. Stupid.

No need for 6X hooks with 15" fish. Worse, the trebles were tearing the paper-thin mouths apart on these tiny bass. Sure.. they release fine, but will they be able to feed efficiently from now on with half their mouth torn off? Will they grow stunted or skinny because of this? No clue just wondering out loud.

Tbh, I'm not interested in a hobby that features 15" bass. I didn't spend hard-earned money on quality gear to catch rats. And I'm definitely not down with pushing myself to exhaustion staying up nights for rats and schoolies. That's just dumb.

The truth in this is just crushingly and brutally accurate. 

I think we’re in for a more protracted battle before there’s a moratorium. The new ASMFC amendment will probably restrict the recreational C&R season in an effort to reduce mortality. June 24- labor day, anyone?

So at least we won’t need to complain about the poor bass fishing…cause we won’t be able to fish for them.

2 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

I think we’re in for a more protracted battle before there’s a moratorium. The new ASMFC amendment will probably restrict the recreational C&R season in an effort to reduce mortality. June 24- labor day, anyone?

So at least we won’t need to complain about the poor bass fishing…cause we won’t be able to fish for them.

We can all clearly see that there are problems with the Bass population but we still have a commercial bass season in MA. Ridiculous!