Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

I was surrounded by big fish for an hour or 2 on Saturday- could t buy a nibble.  I had 40+ inch fish all around the kayak finning and pushing water- they didn’t seem to be feeding from what I could tell.  That woosh sound they make when they spook 2-3’ from you is awesome.  I need to get out one day before work.

14 mins ago, Fitzy said:

I was surrounded by big fish for an hour or 2 on Saturday- could t buy a nibble.  I had 40+ inch fish all around the kayak finning and pushing water- they didn’t seem to be feeding from what I could tell.  That woosh sound they make when they spook 2-3’ from you is awesome.  I need to get out one day before work.

I had a similar situation Saturday morning except the fish were big schoolies. I couldn’t get a bite until I started working a weightless soft plastic almost as fast as you can reel and twitch the rod. Similar to albie fishing. I went from no hits to a hit every cast. Usually multiple fish chasing it. If I slowed it down it would be back to no hits. The fast moving bait really got them worked up. 

6 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Crazy frustrated, been out 4 extended times in past week, both North Shore and Boston, normally like to take days off in June to catch the early action. Not anything like last year:

North Shore: Nahant through Manchester in and out coming tides, rocks and ledges, trolling and throwing. Found maybe one or two mackerel each day with chum in usual go-to spots when I usually have more than I use to bring home and smoke. Went to tub and worm, white poppers, bucktails, SP minnows - nothing. More concerning after 32+ hours of fishing haven't seen birds or schoolie surface feeds at all unlike last year in June where they were everywhere and did the bird and chase.

Harbor: Went today at daybreak till 2pm (incoming tide). Nothing. No birds at all like they went South, maybe a few pogy pods or two the size of my boat not being harassed but that was it. Everywhere from Inner, Outer Harbor, Quincy to Withrop, the Islands and the Graves. Threw all the same different gear at them.

Is my boat cursed or others seeing the same (Besides what OTW says)? 

How deep are you fishing? 

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Almost sounds like they were feeding on krill. When they do that they're impossible to catch.

The Sultan of Sluggo

7 hours ago, bob_G said:

Almost sounds like they were feeding on krill. When they do that they're impossible to catch.

Could be.  I’ve seen them feeding on isopods before and they tend to roll like over grown trout.  The fish from the other day weren’t really moving until you spooked them.  

9 hours ago, Fitzy said:

The fish in CCB where I fish are locked in on small bait, 5 inches and down, we did manage one big fish last week but most were smaller

IMG_7385.jpg

192882030_3835226199933910_8119400707906717557_n.jpg

DSCF0717.JPG

Switched it up and fished N.Boston overnight Saturday. Handful of bait-sized bass on big girl plugs. Stupid.

No need for 6X hooks with 15" fish. Worse, the trebles were tearing the paper-thin mouths apart on these tiny bass. Sure.. they release fine, but will they be able to feed efficiently from now on with half their mouth torn off? Will they grow stunted or skinny because of this? No clue just wondering out loud.

Tbh, I'm not interested in a hobby that features 15" bass. I didn't spend hard-earned money on quality gear to catch rats. And I'm definitely not down with pushing myself to exhaustion staying up nights for rats and schoolies. That's just dumb.

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Switched it up and fished N.Boston overnight Saturday. Handful of bait-sized bass on big girl plugs. Stupid.

No need for 6X hooks with 15" fish. Worse, the trebles were tearing the paper-thin mouths apart on these tiny bass. Sure.. they release fine, but will they be able to feed efficiently from now on with half their mouth torn off? Will they grow stunted or skinny because of this? No clue just wondering out loud.

Tbh, I'm not interested in a hobby that features 15" bass. I didn't spend hard-earned money on quality gear to catch rats. And I'm definitely not down with pushing myself to exhaustion staying up nights for rats and schoolies. That's just dumb.

That’s why I’ve switched to using mostly single hook soft plastics unless it’s too windy to cast them. I think I catch more fish on the soft plastics anyways and definitely get less weeds.