Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

If you’ve been fishing the cape for a few decades, you’d know how it should be, and has been. When stocks  are healthy, the pods of big fish are more numerous and the edge of the mass of fish is closer inshore.   That makes for more consistent success for surfcasters.  When stocks are good, you could expect at least a few hits on the outer beaches tossing big plugs at night.  Seals suck, yes, but they’re just a fraction of the issue. 36” minimum should be coast wide. 

2 hours ago, zeke04 said:

I live on the Cape and the striper fishing seems to have been somewhat stable for the last few years if you know what you're doing. Of course the fishing has declined from the early 90's, but the large population of schoolies, in particular "micros" is encouraging. The charter captains I know have found fish in the usual locations and the comms are doing well this year, I know the thinking is that they are killing off the remaining stock of large fish.

There are still fish around in some of the best spots but most of the cape is pretty lifeless. Not too long ago you could go to pretty much any beach, jetty or salt pond on the cape at sunrise or sunset and catch schoolies. Try that now and you’ll get a skunk at most places. It’s bad and is only going to get worse if things don’t change. 

6 hours ago, danny_a said:

Yep, hard to blame the new wave of fishermen.  They don't know any better. They can't compare one era of fishing to another, they only know this.  They didn't live through the last striper decline and then the rebound.

For the old guard that continues to pound stripers into the ground and already lived through one decline.  For shame...

See what lessons are learned 20 years from now.  Those of us still alive, anyway.  But at least we had our fun, right?  There should be plenty of bsb, tog and scup to keep us entertained until the next rebound, right?  Cod and smelt fishing used to be a great fishing experience during the winter.  We'll soon say the same for striped bass in the summer.

During the last decline, we were up to our necks in bluefish. You could literally pick any given minute of a 24 hour day and catch a blue in the Canal. Guys in denial claimed that the reason we weren't seeing many bass was that the blues were driving them offshore. :rolleyes: 

Now you don't even have them. :( 

15 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

During the last decline, we were up to our necks in bluefish. You could literally pick any given minute of a 24 hour day and catch a blue in the Canal. Guys in denial claimed that the reason we weren't seeing many bass was that the blues were driving them offshore. :rolleyes: 

Now you don't even have them. :( 

Yeah, bluefish were everywhere in the 80s.  The joke used to be you could throw a cigarette butt out there and catch a bluefish.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:42 PM, bob_G said:

Guys, the fish are gone.  :wave:.  The fishery collapsed.  This is a carbon copy of the mid 1980s.

Did anyone actually believe the massacres we witnessed and participated in on the canal in the last 10 years would be without consequences? 

The breeding stocks have been irreparably  damaged, and will take decades to recover,  if at all.

Winner winner chicken dinner

On 7/7/2021 at 0:32 PM, golden said:

If you’ve been fishing the cape for a few decades, you’d know how it should be, and has been. When stocks  are healthy, the pods of big fish are more numerous and the edge of the mass of fish is closer inshore.   That makes for more consistent success for surfcasters.  When stocks are good, you could expect at least a few hits on the outer beaches tossing big plugs at night.  Seals suck, yes, but they’re just a fraction of the issue. 36” minimum should be coast wide. 

Can't disagree with most of this. :th:

2 hours ago, capesams said:

Buffalo...herring...now bass again..who to blame...MAN plain and simple greed.

Steve it will always be about greed and then you have mismanagement when the greed wears them down Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Steve it will always be about greed and then you have mismanagement when the greed wears them down Peace and Prayers

Right on Carl. I think you left out another reason ignorance is more of a problem too. A lot of people just don't care. I keep a picture on my desk of myself @ 150 with a keeper I released. Nice clear day and no one in the photo but me all the way to the herring run parking lot. As Archie and Edith would sing; "those were the days"!. I pretty much did not keep a fish unless it would not survive. Great thing about fishing is "catch and release" not so with hunting unless you don't pull the trigger which I have done plenty of times too.

Well, I just finished a 6 day vacation where I fished on 4 of those days - I did find 11 stripers (smaller ones up to 20") on the last trip (this past Tuesday). But the other three days were one striper, one full fledged skunk, and one trip where I was skunked of stripers, but changed gears and tried for fluke (catching a few small ones)...So throw out the one ok (not great) day, and it's one small schoolie in three trips...Not good

13 hours ago, evancanalrat said:

A lot of D bags out there are in total denial about the state of striped bass. One said to me “please, fishing has never been better”.

To some extent I think that comes from guys with less than 10 years in, probably more like 5.

They get lucky and dial in on a good school and think it's the best they've ever seen.

That's because they weren't around when the whole coast from Casco Bay to Long Island Sound fished like that all season.