Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

No, nothing will change because the vast majority of people on here complaining will never show up to a fisheries meeting or join in online. There were a handful of rec guys (not me) really pushing for better regs a few years ago, and they succeeded to some degree, but they’re largely outnumbered by the charter boats. 

1@36 or gamefish. And if they get gamefish status I’ll continue to live with knowing I’m toying with another creature’s life for my own satisfaction. Ive been doing that for 25 years now. I know I’ve killed fish even though I’ve only  kept 4 fish in the last 6 years. 

The slot is a disaster in the making. Too easy for bait soaking poachers to decimate that size class.  

3 hours ago, zeke04 said:

I notice no recent posts of impending striper doom, fish seem to have moved into their spots later than people expected.

Do you notice where those spots are (that doesn't include making a trip to Ptown)?

9 hours ago, zeke04 said:

I notice no recent posts of impending striper doom, fish seem to have moved into their spots later than people expected.

Compared to just 20 years ago I’d say today’s striper fishery is in very serious decline. Smaller and smaller pockets of big fish hanging around for shorter durations of time, with fewer small fish around in general. During my lifetime in my area I’ve witnessed a handful of once-famous areas become barren, nothing but a memory to those who were fortunate enough to be there during the heyday. People who are relatively new to striper fishing think this is normal. To them there’s nothing to worry about. They just don’t know any better. 

On the upside, I haven't suffered a full fledged skunk yet this year. (longest I've gone into a season without being skunked - as of yesterday)..but with that said, I've definitely seen signs of decline. I've enjoyed momentary blitzes where I catch a few fish in a span of a few minutes...but I haven't run into a day long bail out situation like you typically would in the spring and early summer. It often even takes some work to catch smaller fish, let alone large ones. This includes fishing RI, the cape, northern MA and into ME. 

The only time I saw a lot of striped bass stacked in the same area was during a cape cod worm hatch. I witnessed one other blitz up at PI, which was nice to see, but not overly impressive comparably speaking...other than that, any blitzing fish I've seen this season were bluefish down in RI

There's no question there are way fewer fish and they are much more scattered than, say, 10 years ago, which was already a decline compared to 15 years ago. Like albacized said you have to hunt all over New England for them now just to get a slow pick.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:25 AM, Seadogg said:

Compared to just 20 years ago I’d say today’s striper fishery is in very serious decline. Smaller and smaller pockets of big fish hanging around for shorter durations of time, with fewer small fish around in general. During my lifetime in my area I’ve witnessed a handful of once-famous areas become barren, nothing but a memory to those who were fortunate enough to be there during the heyday. People who are relatively new to striper fishing think this is normal. To them there’s nothing to worry about. They just don’t know any better. 

Right on

My guess is there are 50% fewer bass on the cape this year than 10 years ago, possibly worse. Most of the traditional spots that were a lock for years are either barren or just holding small fish. The fish that remain get pounded by crowds thanks to social medial hype. It's sad to see the tackle shops, publications, and charter captains continue to stick their heads in the sand as the crash accelerates. Where is the outrage? When it becomes a struggle for experienced boat fishermen and charter captains to find legal size fish to target with light tackle, something is wrong. I get that migration patterns can change, but everyone (rec and commercial) needs to start taking a hard look in the mirror instead of blaming the seals, etc. Too many people have been killing too many fish for too long - time to implement the moratorium before it's too late.

I live on the Cape and the striper fishing seems to have been somewhat stable for the last few years if you know what you're doing. Of course the fishing has declined from the early 90's, but the large population of schoolies, in particular "micros" is encouraging. The charter captains I know have found fish in the usual locations and the comms are doing well this year, I know the thinking is that they are killing off the remaining stock of large fish.

3 mins ago, zeke04 said:

I live on the Cape and the striper fishing seems to have been somewhat stable for the last few years if you know what you're doing. 

These exact words could also apply to Cape Sharpies in 1980.

History repeats.

So long as charter and commercial fishermen can still use high tech to track down the last refuge of the few remaining pockets of large bass and "do well", the Powers That Be will keep their heads in the sand. Just like last time.

Hopefully this time around it won't be too late when they finally wake up.

33 mins ago, mikez2 said:

the Powers That Be will keep their heads in the sand. Just like last time.

Yep, hard to blame the new wave of fishermen.  They don't know any better. They can't compare one era of fishing to another, they only know this.  They didn't live through the last striper decline and then the rebound.

For the old guard that continues to pound stripers into the ground and already lived through one decline.  For shame...

See what lessons are learned 20 years from now.  Those of us still alive, anyway.  But at least we had our fun, right?  There should be plenty of bsb, tog and scup to keep us entertained until the next rebound, right?  Cod and smelt fishing used to be a great fishing experience during the winter.  We'll soon say the same for striped bass in the summer.