Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

I saw schools of pogies everywhere this morning and early afternoon in the Marblehead to Manchester area in both the moorings and open sound. Just going about their pogie business on a sunny day without being harassed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Maybe the slot limit wasnt a terrible move? Idk, but the lack of slot fish is a bad thing, and a good thing. It’s gotta reduce the amount of bass that are being kept.  Potentially a silver lining. 

 

Then hopefully they can change the slot limit with amendment 7 to protect the 2015s who seem to have not quite moved into the slot just yet.  This would be consistent with their new goal for adding measures I protect that year class.

Kind of, but the meat fisherman with little respect for non keepers is going to kill more fish on their hunt for a keeper. Especially the bigger fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Pickerel92 said:

Maybe the slot limit wasnt a terrible move? Idk, but the lack of slot fish is a bad thing, and a good thing. It’s gotta reduce the amount of bass that are being kept.  

Why do you think there are no slot fish?

They're being kept.

The slot isn't gonna protect the big breeders long term because no fish will make it out the back end of the slot to grow big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Why do you think there are no slot fish?

They're being kept.

The slot isn't gonna protect the big breeders long term because no fish will make it out the back end of the slot to grow big.

Or there are no slot fish because of poor recruitment from the corresponding year classes. Whichever way you slice it, harvest or recruitment, there were less slot size fish to begin with when the slot was adopted last year.
 

I agree that fish may never have the change to grow past 35” due to the slot. That’s why the slot needs to continuously shift in order for it to work. They could basically do what they did in the 80s, continuously move the limit up to protect a specific year class. 

 

im also not defending ASMFC, and I don’t think there should be necessarily any allowable harvest of striped bass. I’m just trying to look at it objectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

Or there are no slot fish because of poor recruitment from the corresponding year classes. Whichever way you slice it, harvest or recruitment, there were less slot size fish to begin with when the slot was adopted last year.
 

I agree that fish may never have the change to grow past 35” due to the slot. That’s why the slot needs to continuously shift in order for it to work. They could basically do what they did in the 80s, continuously move the limit up to protect a specific year class. 

 

im also not defending ASMFC, and I don’t think there should be necessarily any allowable harvest of striped bass. I’m just trying to look at it objectively.

The other big problem is that if the fish are lucky enough to survive the slot they then become eligible to be killed by the commercial fleet. I think a higher minimum slot size would make more sense so that the young fish that are left would be allowed a couple more years of spawning before being killed. Maybe start it at 32”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, z-man said:

The other big problem is that if the fish are lucky enough to survive the slot they then become eligible to be killed by the commercial fleet. I think a higher minimum slot size would make more sense so that the young fish that are left would be allowed a couple more years of spawning before being killed. Maybe start it at 32”. 

That’s why 36” was a good number for rebuilding the stock.  If it were me, I’d want a high narrow slot like 36-40”.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well just returned from the cape. Was there for a week for family vacation with in-laws. Out of the 7 total days there, I fished at the canal 5 of those days. Tried different times, different tides and turns. Gotta say that was the poorest fishing trip I've ever been on. I did not catch 1 striper the entire week. Not a rat or a schoolie. Nothing. Got 1 bluefish on the beach the 1st day there and thats it for the week. Pretty sad. The canal has no mackerel. This is 1st time I've ever seen 0 mackerel there. I did see a few other guys catch fish but it was pure luck those guys just happened to be at the right spot at right time. Man I've been skunked before we all have, but never for a solid week!? I would say screw this! .....never coming back! ......but in-laws still live there so I'll be back next year same time. I'm gonna see about taking a charter trip next year tho. Maybe I can score a fish that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bassturds said:

So we could talk on forums about what needs to happen to protect these fish, but do  you think it will actually happen? 

I don’t think talking on a forum will do anything to change the fisheries managers opinions but it may help change some fishermen’s opinions. A lot of people read these threads and if it makes someone think twice about being more careful about releasing their fish or choosing to eat another fish other than bass then it’s a win. Maybe that same person teaches their kids and friends to respect the fish as well. Every little bit helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t think talking on a forum will do anything to change the fisheries managers opinions but it may help change some fishermen’s opinions. A lot of people read these threads and if it makes someone think twice about being more careful about releasing their fish or choosing to eat another fish other than bass then it’s a win. Maybe that same person teaches their kids and friends to respect the fish as well. Every little bit helps. 

I stopped eating them in 2020 just for that reason.     I used to keep one small keeper a month (6 per year) to eat.   In 2019 I only kept one. Last year I decided not to keep any, and this year  unless the fish may not survive a release,  I plan on doing the same.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 mins ago, bob_G said:

I stopped eating them in 2020 just for that reason.     I used to keep one small keeper a month (6 per year) to eat.   In 2019 I only kept one. Last year I decided not to keep any, and this year  unless the fish may not survive a release,  I plan on doing the same.  

I’m with you Bob.  I don’t eat fish, but I used to keep a handful of stripers each year to share with friends and family.  I don’t think I’ve intentionally killed a bass in 6-8 years maybe more.  I have no problem killing a few seabass,  big scup, or bonito per year though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, z-man said:

I don’t think talking on a forum will do anything to change the fisheries managers opinions but it may help change some fishermen’s opinions. A lot of people read these threads and if it makes someone think twice about being more careful about releasing their fish or choosing to eat another fish other than bass then it’s a win. Maybe that same person teaches their kids and friends to respect the fish as well. Every little bit helps. 

That’s a start. Anything helps. Big or small. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.