Striper1851

Where are the Stripers?

Rate this topic

197 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Crazy frustrated, been out 4 extended times in past week, both North Shore and Boston, normally like to take days off in June to catch the early action. Not anything like last year:

North Shore: Nahant through Manchester in and out coming tides, rocks and ledges, trolling and throwing. Found maybe one or two mackerel each day with chum in usual go-to spots when I usually have more than I use to bring home and smoke. Went to tub and worm, white poppers, bucktails, SP minnows - nothing. More concerning after 32+ hours of fishing haven't seen birds or schoolie surface feeds at all unlike last year in June where they were everywhere and did the bird and chase.

Harbor: Went today at daybreak till 2pm (incoming tide). Nothing. No birds at all like they went South, maybe a few pogy pods or two the size of my boat not being harassed but that was it. Everywhere from Inner, Outer Harbor, Quincy to Withrop, the Islands and the Graves. Threw all the same different gear at them.

Is my boat cursed or others seeing the same (Besides what OTW says)? 

Edited by Striper1851

Just fished all weekend Thursday, Friday, Saturday, all tides new moon, nada. Ran into 1 10" striper.  My usual spots were dormant, no bait, no birds, no bass only a pack of seals roaming along the shore. It was frustrating to say the least.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sorry to hear others as well, not just me. So won't sell the boat to pick up something more frustrating like golf.

Edited by Striper1851

Same here. I found a few fish in the 22” range last night but I’ve got about 6-7 fish total this year between about 10 outings at 2-3 hours each. I’m typically at over 50 fish by now and have typically got a few keepers in the bag.

i, like you, have not seen any birds working yet anywhere, and have only seen a handful of commorants working. It’s not just the stripers that haven’t showed up, it’s like the whole ecosystem fell off.. no birds, no bait, no fish.

everyone I know saying the same things. I’m not one for conspiracies but it’s almost like OTW and other mags, along with tackle stores and charter captains are all far exaggerating their reports to keep sales alive 

There’s a ton of schoolies around cape cod this year which gives some hope for the future. I haven’t found anything over 27” though. It seems like as soon as they hit 28” they become someone’s dinner. We need to do a better job protecting what fish we have left. 

I wonder if a new stunted subspecies of stripers has evolved that doesn't get to the size that they used to attain. There have been unbelievable numbers of "micros" the last couple of years that don't seem to come back much bigger.

35 mins ago, bob_G said:

Guys, the fish are gone.  :wave:.  The fishery collapsed.  This is a carbon copy of the mid 1980s.

Did anyone actually believe the massacres we witnessed and participated in on the canal in the last 10 years would be without consequences? 

The breeding stocks have been irreparably  damaged, and will take decades to recover,  if at all.

but but but the scientists say otherwise, idiots all of them. 

I saw some big fish down south last week. I didn’t catch any ( no surprise) . All schoolies and 1 30 inch fish so far this year. Mid late May was good lot of fish nothing big, all schoolies.  Slow since Memorial Day, few fish. Nothing big. See the common theme. 

went surf castin Friday 9p-1a I didn’t get anything, my buddy said he did well the night before. 

3 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Sorry to hear others as well, not just me. So won't sell the boat to pick up something more frustrating like golf.

Yeah, don't do that unless you put a bass rod in your bag and make a few casts at each water hazzard,