Russ57

Seeking saltwater capable UL spinning reel recomendations

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Reel will likely be used mostly in fresh water but I'd prefer something that can handle saltwater.  I could see it used for catching bait and maybe flats/inshore fishing.  Mostly fresh water exotic panfish/peacock bass.

Would like low weight, great drag, and reasonable/low price.  I was thinking Fuego or Nasci.  Kinda like something along the line of what the old Daiwa 1300 ss was just a bit smaller/lighter.  200 yards of 6# mono would be nice but I could live with 150 I guess.

I picked up this reel Daiwa GEKKABIJIN EX 1003-RH from another person, it's JDM daiwa design for both fresh and salt but heavily focused on salt 1000 size reel. It's mag sealed, essentially a 1k size saltiga since they don't make saltiga that size

1 hour ago, Russ57 said:

Reel will likely be used mostly in fresh water but I'd prefer something that can handle saltwater.  I could see it used for catching bait and maybe flats/inshore fishing.  Mostly fresh water exotic panfish/peacock bass.

Would like low weight, great drag, and reasonable/low price.  I was thinking Fuego or Nasci.  Kinda like something along the line of what the old Daiwa 1300 ss was just a bit smaller/lighter.  200 yards of 6# mono would be nice but I could live with 150 I guess.

Why not get the daiwa 1300?    They are just short of bullet proof.  If not 1300 there was a smaller one. 700?   

2 hours ago, Stryper Snyper said:

Why not get the daiwa 1300?    They are just short of bullet proof.  If not 1300 there was a smaller one. 700?   

Seriously, this is the ticket. Those reels were so far ahead of their time for light line applications. 

The last light reel that Scoobydoo recommended, before he took a new job, was the Battle III DX. I got a 300, haven't gotten it wet yet.

Penn 430SS if you can find one, bulletproof. Also the Diawa Tournament 1300, or 700 mentioned above, saltwater ultralight has a different definition from freshwater ultralight. Saltwater being closer to a med light to medium freshwater rod. The Diawa 1300 has been a respected steelhead reel for decades.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve use a Shimano Sedona 1000 and 2500 in the salt for 2 years.  Backbay and surf, maybe 2-3 times a month.  Still good as new with rinse afterwards and occasional oiling.  The Sedona, Sahara, and Nasci are essentially the same reel.  Nasci has more bearings and is sealed.

Edited by Loudog

I use a Shimano stradic 1000 and 2500 on a noodle rod in the surf and have landed some decent bass and blues on both..

I noticed a  lot of guides in the Keys use A Shimano Stradic.

Anything comparable to that would work just fine.

Here's a UL Stradic 4 to 8 spooled with 6 pound mono and

matched with a Shimano GLF rod.

Here's a UL Daiwa 2 to 6 spooled with 4 pound mono.

2 pound Braid with 10 pound Fluorocarbon.

F862-FD7-B-58-CE-4-D04-81-D0-BEAC79028-C

I have 2 Fuegos, 2500 and 3000.  I use them all the time on my light Lamiglas 8-15# outfits.  Love them, caught a lot of schoolies on them this year up to about 25".  They are not as nice as my Stradic in terms of stiffness, but for the money I think they are great reels, very light and smooth.

13 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The last light reel that Scoobydoo recommended, before he took a new job, was the Battle III DX. I got a 300, haven't gotten it wet yet.

So you were able to keep it dry while fishing with it?:D