Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PSegnatelli

Dropped my BG4000

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was prepping for a trip and knocked my BG4000 off my bench and onto the concrete. Landed smack dab on the handle:banghd:

Now it reels really stiff. Handle knob won't spin at all. 

How is Daiwa repair?  I see replacement handles on ebay for $40. Do I take a gamble on a 100 dollar reel?

What would you do?

Update.  

I snapped the pin inside the knob.  Handle was bent as well.  Straightened the handle and got the knob off.  Seems G2G. 

Just have to find a replacement screw for the knob to handle connection 

Edited by PSegnatelli

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

Buy another bg for backup / replacement part donor. Part shortage & premium price, it will be worth it.

Good idea. But I'm just gonna shift to Penn 7XX Zs as I go.  I'm fairly happy with those and they don't drive me batty with small parts & replacements. 

I did find a Gomexus knob on Amazon for $20 so I bought it.   

17 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Good idea. But I'm just gonna shift to Penn 7XX Zs as I go.  I'm fairly happy with those and they don't drive me batty with small parts & replacements. 

I did find a Gomexus knob on Amazon for $20 so I bought it.   

Come back and look at this thread when you need another part for it. 

5 mins ago, hobobob said:

Come back and look at this thread when you need another part for it. 

I'll probably just sell it by then. Even if its just for parts.  Hell I can get back 60% of the purchase price just by selling the 2 spools. 

That's why I like the Zs so much.  I bought a bunch over the winter $20-30 a piece. Some spare parts.  I think I have 8 reels and complete rebuild parts for $200.  They're slow but so am I.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/13/2021 at 10:34 AM, PSegnatelli said:

Update.  

I snapped the pin inside the knob.  Handle was bent as well.  Straightened the handle and got the knob off.  Seems G2G. 

Just have to find a replacement screw for the knob to handle connection 

Before committing to saving the reel, make sure there is no internal damage (broken or nicked gears from the impact) because that would make the repair non cost effective.

Now, if all you need is to attach the handle knob and keep this awesome reel fishing, I would recommend to buy a Gomexus knob ($15 total incl. shipping), which comes with a knob shaft, screw and bushings. If you must have the original knob, there is no way to get the screw only as these are riveted and the handle+knob is sold as one unit. I just checked the BG4000 schematics and the handle+knob assembly is Part No. J44-1401 and you can find online for about $30, may be Daiwa will give you a deal if you call them.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Capture.JPG

Edited by camilos_garage