Mandoborg

Line tie location on spooks ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hey folks, got a quick question. I notice a lot of guys have the line tie on there spooks dead center in the nose. Punch just posted some beauties. Lordship, Tattoo,etc.., all have there ties on center. Whenever I build one like that, they just come straight through the water....like a floating needlefish. However, when I drop that line tie down under the chin an 1/8 inch or so, it dances all over the place ! Exact same profile. I'm going to keep building mine with an offset line tie, just curious what's going on. 

Jim

Great video !!!  Thanks for the link ! Somehow I missed that one. Those top 2 are exactly how I build mine as well Punch. They dance nice-nice !  :th:

There was a member here who built some nice looking plugs that looked a lot like Punch's spooks, with the line tie straight out the nose, but he called his Howdies. Spooks, at least tradition and legend has it, have the line tie under the chin. I've built a bunch of plugs like Punch's, I just call them Spooks cause nobody knows what a Howdie is.

Can't think of the guys name, but he made a nice plug, a little smaller and lighter than what we're building.

Howdies.jpg

14 mins ago, Ed White said:

There was a member here who built some nice looking plugs that looked a lot like Punch's spooks, with the line tie straight out the nose, but he called his Howdies. Spooks, at least tradition and legend has it, have the line tie under the chin. I've built a bunch of plugs like Punch's, I just call them Spooks cause nobody knows what a Howdie is.

Can't think of the guys name, but he made a nice plug, a little smaller and lighter than what we're building.

Howdies.jpg

Bernzy Bait Co - John Huff!

As for line tie location, what do you want the spook to do ?

If you want it to strictly stay on top, you want a lower loop

If you want it to dive as well put the loop on the nose

Posted (edited) · Report post

Never really had a problem with spooks diving but have been trying to use spook in surf recently and when it's choppy I am getting diving on my center nose loop spook. I think in that situation it would be very nice to have a spook that can't do that. 

Should mention that my nose loop is o-shaped not a d-shape. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like the last few seconds of the video said it's all about balance. If a spook is balanced to sit  horizontal at rest or just  slightly tail down its easy to walk slow and easy , like a dying fish,  with wide glides and natural  pauses with the bait hanging naturally in the surface near horizontal.  .Line tie position is not so critical. Spooks like this are versatile and can  also be fished with tight narrow walk just by increasing the tempo. At the other extreme If a spook is weighted to sit tail down and vertical the only option is a frantic retrieve like a fiddler on crack. With only a very tight walk as the option.  Any pause sees the tail drop, the glide ends and the lure sits unnaturally tail down looking like what it is , a stick. I hate lures like this.Between the two extremes a  Sammy bass lure  is an example of a   slightly tail heavy lure and these are about as tail down as I can stand to fish. To me the heddon super spooks had the perfect angle. Line position is secondary. A low tie  ads a Bob at the start of each pull, and also  stops a lure going subsurface , this looks good to me on tight walking retrieves but I don't know if the fish care. I fish mostly for pike and they take take  howdies subsurface just as well as on top, I bet Stripers would too.  If a bait has a central tie and is balanced near to   horizontal then in any sort of decent  wave a very long pull or retrieve can take the bait subsurface. There are then 3 options. Pause a second to float up and restart a surface retrieve. Or  Wind fast and the lure will scoot back a few inches below the surface, or lastly walk the dog subsurface. The RM Smith Strider will do all this, I know this is oval in section but I think the key is that the balance is not too tail down  and the line tie central.  Balancing lures to sit only slightly tail down is easier  with a denser wood like birch which allows for less extra weight to be added.  Cheers Lurch.

Edited by Lurch
Brain fade