jjdbike

Surf fishing SoCal, leader or straight braid?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

My light surf fishing set up has always been light braid, e.g., 10 - 20lb braid, to fluro leader. For the really light stuff, and limp braid I find tying direct eliminates annoying braid wrapped around swivel. 

Lately I've see a lot of folks advocating for tying straight braid to a clip for fishing Lucky Crafts for halibut, sand bass, croakers, surf perch, what bass etc.

I was told that halibut had really good eyes and leader was necessary. Now 'm seeing this may not be true. For corbina, on the other hand, I think it's a pretty safe bet a leader is needed.

You thoughts? What do you do?

JD

Hmmm - as you know, most of us are up here in sf Bay Area. NorCal Kat started his fishing career down in San Diego County so try connecting with him. Uncle Stu is half way between and might have advice. I think Silverado is down there as well. 

That said, since braid is so prone to abrasion I would question why you would want to drag the last couple of feet through the sand and across rocks. 

Born and raised in Imperial Beach. Stay with the mono or fluoro leader for Corbina and Halibut since you need every break you can get to be successful on these fish. Though if I am targeting either one of them, I prefer bait, but I'm still using the lightest possible mono or fluoro.

Corbina have much better eyes than a Halibut.

i've always used at least a 20lb mono for leaders.  I'm also not sold on fluro being any less visible to fish than mono but who really knows and the fluro can't hurt anything but the wallet.  ;)  

As I ease back into fishing again I'm learning a bunch of different idea on leaders.  I am somewhat leaning toward a short heavier leader using a good 30-50lb mono at about 6" attached to the main leader of whatever you feel works for the conditions.  The idea of shorter heavier secondary leader between the main leader and hook is appealing when going after "toothier" species.  That is my only reason for considering giving it a shot.

Otherwise I've caught plenty of Cali floundhabits on 30-40lb mono leader over the years.  Not sure they really see it .  Maybe in clear waters it might be an issue since they do tend to follow the lure for a bit unless it's a feeding frenzy/high activity or rougher & less clear waters.  John Skinner has some really good videos on YT taken underwater to see how they react and hunt food when it catches their attention.  One is a good 45min or so and very revealing to their feeding behaviors.  I always believed they were more reactionary feeders than the videos revealed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, plinker said:

Corbina have much better eyes than a Halibut.

That is a definite yes....I'm up north of Pt Conception and our surf is pretty much always rough and a calm day is only 4-5' waves.  That makes our surf pretty chaotic which seems to make fish less likely to be visually selective given the amount of 'stuff' in the water.  That seems to make the halibut far less selective even fishing bait on the bottom.

Edited by rkw

I agree with rkw, on the Central Coast waters. Most of the time its so rough I'm pretty sure that its not gonna make any difference if I make the effort to add a swivel and leader to my usual 20lb braid. So I tie direct to braid if I'm throwing lures--I use PowerPro in moss color. if its calm enough to worry about a leader, I'm usually fly fishing. I got my PB striper from the surf on a simple unweighted bucktail streamer. 

you can use straight braid no problem, if fish were so line shy they would leery of the hooks if anything. I use a leader in the surf for a few reasons, sometimes in the wash of a wave having straight braid can create a tangled mess on your lure.   In Socal I like to use 40lb CXX mono 2' leader, mainly for a stiffer line and less limp.  I feel with lighter line it can do almost the same thing.  Never had a issue myself that way.