kakaryan

Seigler SM frame strength?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have been eyeing at the Seigler SM and wanting to get one for some time, until I saw this photo. (which is a mag kit for this reel but it is not the point)

Unlike other conventional reels, the Seigler does not have any support bar on the frame. I heard rumors from non-users questioning the frame strength of such design. 

At first, I thought it is OK, as I saw Seigler posting photos of big sharks caught with the SM. I thought it would be OK, as the frame is a one piece cage milled from a single block of metal (similar to the Millionaire baitcasters and Calcutta Conquest...) 

It turns out NOT. The sideplate could be fully detached, which is only connected to the base with 2 screws!

So when the reel is under pressure, it is the spool shaft, and that 2 screws, taking all the load. If they failed, the spool shaft would be bent.....

Thoughts? Any reports that this did really happen?

Also, I read some older SM had only 8lb tested drag, much lower than it was claimed. Have Seigler fixed this yet?

(I am looking for reel for surf and rock fishing purpose, looking at 10kg drag at least)

Thanks.

97514441_154199639441195_8084612332207996928_n.jpg

I have no  experience using Seigler reels but I’ve played with them enough that I’m convinced they are excellent reels which have a solid design behind them.

Yes, failure of the side plate screws would probably lead to a bent spool shaft but let’s be realistic; what are the chances of something like that actually happening?

Don’t overthink all the “what if” situations  you can come up with.

Buy the reel and enjoy it.

It’ll probably last you for several lifetimes.

I have a very early Release SM (prior to “Truth” and prior to “Seigler” It has been an excellent reel. I can’t imagine it failing. I jig  the canal with it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I caught several sharks on a friend's. Never a problem.

Call them and talk to Wes.

Edited by reelfire

They’re plenty strong, and if you ever have a problem they fix it. Their little factory is down the street from me and they let you walk through. It’s a pretty impressive operation 

I've had a Truth SM for about 5 years.  Caught plenty of sharks, rays, and large red drum. No signs of distress or impending failure.  It's a very solid reel and unlikely to be the weak spot in your setup.  Plus a great warranty if ever needed.

10 hours ago, kakaryan said:

I have been eyeing at the Seigler SM and wanting to get one for some time, until I saw this photo. (which is a mag kit for this reel but it is not the point)

Unlike other conventional reels, the Seigler does not have any support bar on the frame. I heard rumors from non-users questioning the frame strength of such design. 

At first, I thought it is OK, as I saw Seigler posting photos of big sharks caught with the SM. I thought it would be OK, as the frame is a one piece cage milled from a single block of metal (similar to the Millionaire baitcasters and Calcutta Conquest...) 

It turns out NOT. The sideplate could be fully detached, which is only connected to the base with 2 screws!

So when the reel is under pressure, it is the spool shaft, and that 2 screws, taking all the load. If they failed, the spool shaft would be bent.....

Thoughts? Any reports that this did really happen?

Also, I read some older SM had only 8lb tested drag, much lower than it was claimed. Have Seigler fixed this yet?

(I am looking for reel for surf and rock fishing purpose, looking at 10kg drag at least)

Thanks.

97514441_154199639441195_8084612332207996928_n.jpg

I can see a twisting force on the palm side especially when the line is on that side of the reel.

The actual torque on the drive would be on the handle side because the spool is geared or locked to that side of the rail which is look stronger to me but yes I do see where your concerned will show its face.

But I don't think you have anything to worry about unless you hook up humpback whale or maybe a cruise ship.

The side that absorbs all the torque is the handle side the forward pull twisting force will be handled by the other side the Palm side especially when the line is on that side of the reel.

HH

I have a Seigler SM.  Never had a hint of frame issues.   The only thing I don’t like about the reel is how easily the spool tension  can be moved.   

I added a small plastic washer behind the spool tension knob and screwed it all the way down.  It’s set to the perfect spool tension and I don’t have to worry about it not being set correctly before a cast.   

I dont have a SM but have their standard reels (a SGN and LGN) the fit and finish is pure quality and the lifetime warranty just inspires confidence imo. Seems like the type of company if something did go wrong you'd be covered no problem.