Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PeteA

Keeping Sand Out Of Your Wading Boots - Hack

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

OK, I've seen a a few posts recently about people with stocking foot waders getting a lot of sand in their wading boots. Myself included. So I tried one of my DIY hacks. I took a 2 - 19" pieces of 3mm shock cord and 2 - 1/2" deep nylon spacer.  I think it has a 1/4 hole in it. I divided the shock cord in half and forced it through the hole in the space. The spacer will only slide up and down the shock cord if you force it. It basically acts as a cord lock. (You could also use vinyl tubing but you really want to force the shock cord through so there is no slippage).  After the spacer is on I tie knot with the tag ends of the shock cord so the spacer can't come off.  When I put my waders in I slip these over each gravel guard and position them about an inch or so down over the boot top. I synch them really snug and they really hold the gravel guard tight to the boot. I've used them 2x's now and they held rock solid. I have had very little to no sand in either of my boots after 14+ hours of fishing. 

FYI - I have LL Bean breathable stocking foot waders. I think they are called Emergers and cheap Orvis canvas lite weight travel boots. 

10 hours ago, PeteA said:

OK, I've seen a a few posts recently about people with stocking foot waders getting a lot of sand in their wading boots. Myself included. So I tried one of my DIY hacks. I took a 2 - 19" pieces of 3mm shock cord and 2 - 1/2" deep nylon spacer.  I think it has a 1/4 hole in it. I divided the shock cord in half and forced it through the hole in the space. The spacer will only slide up and down the shock cord if you force it. It basically acts as a cord lock. (You could also use vinyl tubing but you really want to force the shock cord through so there is no slippage).  After the spacer is on I tie knot with the tag ends of the shock cord so the spacer can't come off.  When I put my waders in I slip these over each gravel guard and position them about an inch or so down over the boot top. I synch them really snug and they really hold the gravel guard tight to the boot. I've used them 2x's now and they held rock solid. I have had very little to no sand in either of my boots after 14+ hours of fishing. 

FYI - I have LL Bean breathable stocking foot waders. I think they are called Emergers and cheap Orvis canvas lite weight travel boots. 

7 hours ago, Chrishockey said:

Can you share some photos? I’m intrigued.

Agreed.

Please share photos.

JD

Yes please some pictures, I wear boot foot waders, but I feel more comfortable in stocking foot Plus it's a good way to extend the life of my old wading boots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Could it really be this simple? Took these really fast this am, but you'll get the idea. 

I could actually make the shock cord a little shorter you don't have as much of a tail. Maybe 16" vs 19"  Again the synch cord goes around the gravel guard about 1/2 to 1" below the top of the boot. It worked really well on 2 outings now. It also seems to hold the little front clip to my boot laces better. 

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

Edited by PeteA

A quick update: 3rd outing using these DIY synch loops. Fished for 6 hours and EXTREMELY little to NO sand in my boots. 3mm shock cord is 38 cents a foot at REI. 4 feet is more then enough. And either a 6 inch length of really narrow vinyl tubing or I used nylon screw spacers, they should be a dollar. So for about $2.50 and about 15 minutes of your time you have a pretty solid solution to keeping sand out of stocking foot waders. Just make sure you really force the shock cord through the spacer. It should not slide without you pulling on it to open it. 

Give it a shot boys.

IMG_2494.jpg