Pat_RI

Landing Net recommendation needed

18 posts in this topic

Been moving down in line size bass fishing to 4lb test and also been throwing more lures with treble hooks on lighter line.  Looking to get a net to avoid having to try and lip the fish. Fish mostly for LM and SM but do occasionally go for trout and pike.  Would like something with a collapsible handle so it doesn’t take up much room on the boat.  Any brand/model recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Catching smallies on 4lb test on a light rod is fun getting them into the boat not so much.

Thanks,
Pat

I use an ego net.  Handle extends and no tangle netting.  Plus it floats

Also has exchangeable heads so ypu can put on different size nets gaffs boat hooks etc.

Egofishing 

5 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I use an ego net.  Handle extends and no tangle netting.  Plus it floats

Also has exchangeable heads so ypu can put on different size nets gaffs boat hooks etc.

Egofishing 

What size and what type of fish?

1 hour ago, Pat_RI said:

What size and what type of fish?

I use a pretty large net for fw bass and inshore stuff like specs reds and stripers.  I love the rubber no tangle netting especially when dealing with treble hooks

Standard handle do 29 to 60" reach

They have all different sizes and like I said you can switch out with the same handle

Not sure of the brand of the net, but if you have a West Marine nearby, they usually have a pretty good display of nets in their tackle section.

I picked one up there  a couple years ago that would probably meet your needs.  Sturdy, telescoping handle, big enough for most freshwater situations, soft rubber net bag. small enough not to get in the way in a smaller vessel..  I use it from my canoe when I'm chasing just about anything here on Long Island or in upstate New York--bass, trout, pike, walleye, pickerel, etc., and I've also used it when fishing for lake trout on a steeply-sloping shoreline, where the rocks make the longer, telescoping handle a real benefit.

If you have a West Marine close by, it would probably be worth taking a ride so that you can look at the various options and see which suits yoou best.

8 mins ago, CWitek said:

Not sure of the brand of the net, but if you have a West Marine nearby, they usually have a pretty good display of nets in their tackle section.

I picked one up there  a couple years ago that would probably meet your needs.  Sturdy, telescoping handle, big enough for most freshwater situations, soft rubber net bag. small enough not to get in the way in a smaller vessel..  I use it from my canoe when I'm chasing just about anything here on Long Island or in upstate New York--bass, trout, pike, walleye, pickerel, etc., and I've also used it when fishing for lake trout on a steeply-sloping shoreline, where the rocks make the longer, telescoping handle a real benefit.

If you have a West Marine close by, it would probably be worth taking a ride so that you can look at the various options and see which suits yoou best.

Thanks.  I went to Bass Pro and they just Frabil and BPS brands not a fan.

2 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

Thanks.  I went to Bass Pro and they just Frabil and BPS brands not a fan.

It's not impossible that the one I have is a Frabil, but I'm not certain of that.

I tend to pay less attention to brand than to fuinction, although I agree with you on Bass Pro stuff.

Well, funny. I generally am not a fan of anything BPS either. But I have a small boat and I picked up a typical bass sized net but with a deep mesh bag a few months ago that could hold a large striper or musky if needed. But hated how it took up so much space in the boat with the tailing mesh end and how a small bait with a pair of treble hooks would get entangled in it. 

Went to cabela’s to look for a rubber mesh net since they would have the best inventory of nets around and after looking at everything, the collapsible BPS net designed for bass with a good sized diameter but really shallow net was the best one I could find. Ended up being totally perfect. I’ve netted small to big fish with that thing. Doesn’t get in the way at all in the boat. I’ll take a picture of the net later. 

I use an Ego 11” handle wading net that is rubberized that I’ve been very happy with for my Kayak.  Their larger models seen well liked too. 

13 hours ago, dj1975232 said:

I use an Ego 11” handle wading net that is rubberized that I’ve been very happy with for my Kayak.  Their larger models seen well liked too. 

Bought a rubber Ego net with a telescopic handle for a trip to Canada and it did a great job with large walleyes and pike.

21 hours ago, Pat_RI said:

Just got back from the local West Marine all they had were those green nylon nets and Dick’s had squat.

Sorry for the bum steer.

Could be that nets are suffering from the same supply chain problems as everything else.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, CWitek said:

Sorry for the bum steer.

Could be that nets are suffering from the same supply chain problems as everything else.  

No problem I orders a net from Cabelas hope it doesn’t suck. Lol. Bought an Ego. 

Edited by Pat_RI

20 mins ago, Pat_RI said:

No problem I orders a net from Cabelas hope it doesn’t suck. Lol. Bought an Ego. 

You will Not be disappointed.  Purchased mine last summer. Landed fluke to 7# and 24" NP, blues to 10#, albies, bonita all with ease. Just be sure the net is screwed tightly to the pole as mine fell off once. 

Good luck!