Online prescription glasses?

Rate this topic

jjdbike

Hey folks,

I need a new pair of prescription glasses. My insurance benefit won’t cover a new pair till fall.  There are many online sources that are way less expensive then from my doctor’s place. 
Can anyone here recommend or warn me against any online retailers?

Anyone?

JD

I’m currently in the same boat. The doctors office is always high. I’ll probably go to sam’s club or target, this way if there is a problem it will be taken care of right there. 

Once I have a pair for my new prescription and it is good, I’ll order online if I need another pair or sunglasses. 

ASSUME NOTHING

Most of them are very similar, you give them the specs and they will just have their lab makes it. They do the quality check then sent them back to you. 

I have 3 different pairs and all of them are fine. Just make sure you have the correct measurement for your frame when you pick them. 

See if you have an America’s Best store near you. They have a large selection of glasses at least the location I goto does, and they’re cheap. I also get my contacts from them. They do have a website too.

“I enjoy talking to you. Your mind appeals to me. It resembles my own mind except that you happen to be insane.”

2 hours ago, MattieG said:

See if you have an America’s Best store near you.

Am I the only one that has a very bad experience with them?

Wrong prescription 3X in the row.

Would rather go without glasses than to go in to their store again.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

3 hours ago, jjdbike said:

There are many online sources that are way less expensive then from my doctor’s place. 
Can anyone here recommend or warn me against any online retailers?

I have been using ZENNI for last 10 years or so.

Very important thing is to know all your numbers when placing order.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

1 min ago, Popasilov said:

I went a loooong time after nearly a dozen visits at 4 different places trying to get a contact rx that worked.....then covid hit.....

Said **** it and got my eyes lazered.......best thing  could have ever done.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Laser is a good thing but it does not work for everybody's eyes.

I went for consultation while ago and it was no "guarantee" due to bifocal prescriptions.

- Henry Ford-

15 hours ago, BillZ said:

Just go to Costco's or Bj's ...

I'm not a member and don't have one that's really convenient. Not sure if it's worth buying membership just for this.

15 hours ago, Catskill John said:

I’m currently in the same boat. The doctors office is always high. I’ll probably go to sam’s club or target, this way if there is a problem it will be taken care of right there. 

Once I have a pair for my new prescription and it is good, I’ll order online if I need another pair or sunglasses. 

I'm concerned that if I get from online and there's a problem, it'll be a nightmare.

I'm going to look for discount brick & mortar retailors.

15 hours ago, hookmeup said:

I tried an online retailer for prescription sunglasses. No bueno. 

Yes, prescription sunglasses are tricky, especially progressives. Like I said, looking for discount brick & mortar retailer. 

15 hours ago, foxfai said:

Most of them are very similar, you give them the specs and they will just have their lab makes it. They do the quality check then sent them back to you. 

I have 3 different pairs and all of them are fine. Just make sure you have the correct measurement for your frame when you pick them. 

Hard to be sure how accurate the measurements are.

12 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Wow, sounds like a real hassle. Could it be that one location was run poorly? Did they make it right? 

12 hours ago, Popasilov said:

I have been using ZENNI for last 10 years or so.

Very important thing is to know all your numbers when placing order.

12 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I went a loooong time after nearly a dozen visits at 4 different places trying to get a contact rx that worked.....then covid hit.....

11 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Just helped my father order a pair from ZENNI, saved him a bunch and he is very happy with them. I plan to order some prescription sunglasses from them soon. Make sure you get the numbers right...

Yes I know people who use & like Zenni. I'm just concerned about accuracy of measurements and hassle if they aren't right.

9 hours ago, moocks said:

lensesrx is where I have been getting mine for 9 years or so. Like everyone says, know your numbers and have a current prescription.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, tristate said:

Where do you live? If you are within a reasonable distance of Quakertown Pa. I can help you. You just need a prescription.

Thanks for the offer. I'm in West Chester which is quite a ways from you.

Thanks everyone!

I'm going to take my chances on America's best.

I'll report back.

JD