dano1089

Gen 2 VR50B

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, dano1089 said:

How can you confirm that you have a Gen 2 VR50? Thanks!

It will have nee gears :)

One could argue Gen 1 was silver. Gen 2 was black with a long reel stem. Gen 3 has a new gear set. 

13 mins ago, dano1089 said:

Mmm.  Then I’m wondering how to if the 3. 

The body is wider to accept the new gears

We need to get some actual measurements as I’ve definitely seen the wider body but don’t know the #s to compare with my calipers. My current VR50 is the silver long stem that came out a little after the VR50B (RK logo gone). 

Agreed.  I was told by a respected long time Van Staal dealer that the VR50B’s were current and not being updated.  They did not say anything specifically regarding the updated gears.  I’ve also seen different things here on SOL and that the new gears would fit in the old body and it sounds like Craig may have said different things.  It sure would be nice to know if I had the current version.

Rep told my shop owner the opposite. All VR50b currently being shipped out will be upgraded with larger gears. Any that are already in stores likely aren't upgraded. Partly the reason for the delay in getting them out to shops. 

1 hour ago, BDigital said:

Rep told my shop owner the opposite. All VR50b currently being shipped out will be upgraded with larger gears. Any that are already in stores likely aren't upgraded. Partly the reason for the delay in getting them out to shops. 

Thanks.  Of course the next question is can the the old ones be upgraded and for how much.

3 hours ago, dano1089 said:

Thanks.  Of course the next question is can the the old ones be upgraded and for how much.

New body and gears is probably cost prohibitive 

55 mins ago, ged said:

New body and gears is probably cost prohibitive 

True.  I’m just still a bit confused.  I saw at least one other post that says the body of the 50 is not thicker with the updated gear.  Some websites are selling the 50’s along with the other models as 2021’s and have been since I bought mine.  It may not matter, but I bought it after the Pure Fishing take over and the packaging reflects that.  There really isn’t too much good info coming from Van Staal.  

2 hours ago, dano1089 said:

True.  I’m just still a bit confused.  I saw at least one other post that says the body of the 50 is not thicker with the updated gear.  Some websites are selling the 50’s along with the other models as 2021’s and have been since I bought mine.  It may not matter, but I bought it after the Pure Fishing take over and the packaging reflects that.  There really isn’t too much good info coming from Van Staal.  

Van Staal is weird. They have talked about things (VS175) that never came out, and then they have released things like their current fly reels, and the upgraded VR150B and don’t even mention them. Strange way to run a business. 

Yep,agreed.   I bought my VR125B in March and it was upgraded The 50B’s were on that website as available 2021 versions.  They had the original VR’s listed separately and there were never any 50B’s listed as originals to my knowledge.

If the gear up grade is not retro that blows! 
I waited 9 months for my VR 50B during the pandemic and pure fishing take over.

Still like this this little real but it’s not in my regular rotation. If the gears were a problem and mine can’t be upgraded then I got a lemon!

There are two bodies in circulation as of now, (one is slightly thicker) a member here in another thread actually posted them side x side. But thats all I know, I don't think he ever got to measuring them. 

1 min ago, jk20a3 said:

There are two bodies in circulation as of now, (one is slightly thicker) a member here in another thread actually posted them side x side. But thats all I know, I don't think he ever got to measuring them. 

Thanks!  Now to find that post…