Chrishockey

ODM GENESIS 2021

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Jig It said:

I kinda suspected that reported  5.75 oz for 10' was off, why I replied if it is a noodle lol. I never used odm, but I heard many good things about older genesis line from random sources. Enjoy your new toy!

I would imagine that the reported 5.75 oz was for the blank weight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, wefish138 said:

After playing with the all the new genesis’s’s’s (genesi? Genitals? What the plural?) they are sweet. Steve from ODM said weight wise the 10’ pairs better with a VR over a vsx because the rod is so light. As with all the other ODM’s, they’ll throw that full range with no problem. @Chrishockey It’ll send an SP. Ill check it with a 1 1/2 oz Bucktail in a little bit 

Well, we sold out of the 11’s immediately after I made this post, so sadly I won’t be able to check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, wefish138 said:

Well, we sold out of the 11’s immediately after I made this post, so sadly I won’t be able to check. 

What do you mean sold out ? And I thank you very much for your efforts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on an early adopter & first impressions theme ... my ODM Genesis (2nd gen.) NXGX 1035 surf rod showed up today. Kudos to SWE as they shipped the rod in a bomb proof (very heavy duty) card board container (a beast). And it shipped quickly via UPS once picked up in RI and shipped to VA.

5776DE83-551A-4878-92EC-FE3362874A0B_1_105_c.jpeg.d533696e6fa3e7cc2c1e3e2195a3250b.jpeg

The pictures tell the story. This 10 footer is light, thin and fast. Not super light but lighter than its predecessor. And its more quick / fast as opposed to "moderate" me thinks ...  which is how ODM characterizes this surf rod series. The previous Genesis series seems to be a little more "moderate" in terms of flex & recovery (I have an 11ft 1-4oz  to compare this new guy to). Note I haven't thrown anything on this new rod yet.

 

Cosmetically it seems a bit nicer then previous versions ... but so was the DNA series. In the end I think that's a choice decision one might make ... a 2 piece 50/50 Genesis ... or a 70 / 30 DNA rod (at $100 dollars less). The 2nd gen Genesis is just that much more refined. IMHO.

IMG_5907.JPG.1de409e8ca925e90603dc0da18688ff6.JPG

CC6EB2F7-E5EA-4853-B100-C5D89EE91A6A_1_105_c.jpeg.c0e8d015b25114722e68e7f6c535c197.jpeg

90246385-E0D1-45AB-A3F2-FEA3321A1443_1_105_c.jpeg.d3f39c01d097fe08e2a3d9d06d78fa69.jpeg

And this 10ft rod balances well with a 15.5 ounce reel (as pictured) ... and maybe a bit better with a 16 oz Shimano Saragosa SW 6K.

 

Anyhow ... more schwing & bling for them Striped Bass & Bluefish (Jacks, Snook, and Tarpon too!).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KironaFly said:

So on an early adopter & first impressions theme ... my ODM Genesis (2nd gen.) NXGX 1035 surf rod showed up today. Kudos to SWE as they shipped the rod in a bomb proof (very heavy duty) card board container (a beast). And it shipped quickly via UPS once picked up in RI and shipped to VA.

5776DE83-551A-4878-92EC-FE3362874A0B_1_105_c.jpeg.d533696e6fa3e7cc2c1e3e2195a3250b.jpeg

The pictures tell the story. This 10 footer is light, thin and fast. Not super light but lighter than its predecessor. And its more quick / fast as opposed to "moderate" me thinks ...  which is how ODM characterizes this surf rod series. The previous Genesis series seems to be a little more "moderate" in terms of flex & recovery (I have an 11ft 1-4oz  to compare this new guy to). Note I haven't thrown anything on this new rod yet.

 

Cosmetically it seems a bit nicer then previous versions ... but so was the DNA series. In the end I think that's a choice decision one might make ... a 2 piece 50/50 Genesis ... or a 70 / 30 DNA rod (at $100 dollars less). The 2nd gen Genesis is just that much more refined. IMHO.

IMG_5907.JPG.1de409e8ca925e90603dc0da18688ff6.JPG

CC6EB2F7-E5EA-4853-B100-C5D89EE91A6A_1_105_c.jpeg.c0e8d015b25114722e68e7f6c535c197.jpeg

90246385-E0D1-45AB-A3F2-FEA3321A1443_1_105_c.jpeg.d3f39c01d097fe08e2a3d9d06d78fa69.jpeg

And this 10ft rod balances well with a 15.5 ounce reel (as pictured) ... and maybe a bit better with a 16 oz Shimano Saragosa SW 6K.

 

Anyhow ... more schwing & bling for them Striped Bass & Bluefish (Jacks, Snook, and Tarpon too!).

 

Tackle Direct uses the same exact heavy duty tube. They ship it free via FedEx. It took 3 days to ship the rod from NJ to RI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

please remove comment. 

Edited by jeffapeikin
Removed 8$ charge fir rod container. Only on 79-30 rods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fished my 1035 over the weekend, and again last night. Nothing really big to report, just some 22”-24” fish, but i will say that i really am liking the feel of this rod. Very crisp, and fishes it’s range very well, with it’s sweet spot being about 2 1/2 oz, IMO. The rod feels a tad lighter, which made it a joy to fish, and loads very well. Threw a 1 1/2 oz bucktail quite a bit, which felt great, with excellent sensitivity and quick recovery on the hookset. Very responsive tip.

Really shined on an SS Darter, which just seemed to make the rod come to life. Felt the plug very well. Hoping to put some more time on it over the weekend, and next week on vacation. Am really liking this rod alot, it appears to be another winner from ODM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Fished my 1035 over the weekend, and again last night. Nothing really big to report, just some 22”-24” fish, but i will say that i really am liking the feel of this rod. Very crisp, and fishes it’s range very well, with it’s sweet spot being about 2 1/2 oz, IMO. The rod feels a tad lighter, which made it a joy to fish, and loads very well. Threw a 1 1/2 oz bucktail quite a bit, which felt great, with excellent sensitivity and quick recovery on the hookset. Very responsive tip.

Really shined on an SS Darter, which just seemed to make the rod come to life. Felt the plug very well. Hoping to put some more time on it over the weekend, and next week on vacation. Am really liking this rod alot, it appears to be another winner from ODM.

How did it feel on the higher end of the rating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Chrishockey said:

How did it feel on the higher end of the rating?

I don’t throw a ton over 3 oz, but did have a NB bottle to see how it would do which i believe is close to 3 oz, and loaded fine. It was an area that was not ideal for a bottle due to the dig, but just more of an assessment, and it did fine. Can’t really give any advise on anything heavier, i just don’t throw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the 11 1-6 for bigger plugs. I was lucky enough to talk to Steve when I picked it up at a local tackle shop. I haven't had a chance to fish it yet but I can only compare it to a lamiglas gsb11ms. The rod is lighter, thinner, and probably every bit more powerful than the gsb. Its alittle more moderate fast but still seems moderate.(did alittle testing at the shop). 

 

FWIW Steve said I can throw the whole range with it. Everything down from an SP to a grs. Im gonna take this to the canal and see what it can handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 0:52 AM, Water Dog said:

I don’t believe it’s available yet, so you’re not going to get much info beyond the marketing blurb from their site, which is also cut and pasted onto some retailers sites as well.  I emailed ODM last month about it and it’s release has been pushed back due to delays from China.  It was originally supposed to be available at the end of April…. then the end of May.  Tomo’s Tackle up in MA lists a tentative release date of June 15th.  Then again, they also listed April 30th and then May 30th before as well, so we’ll see…

 

 

 

Are these rods made in China?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.