Chrishockey

ODM GENESIS 2021

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2021 at 9:32 AM, Water Dog said:

Well, I just hopped onto the Tomo’s Tackle website.  The listed release date for the 2021 Genesis just got moved again.  It went from June 15th to July 31st. :( 

Tomo’s has them in stock. I preordered mine on Sun., received an email that rod was in and shipped on Mon., and was at my door on Wed. afternoon.

Can really notice how they lightened the blank, and how light in hand it feels. Quality components, and just a beautiful rod. I bought the 10 ftr and really like how it feels with my VSX150. Balances really well. I feel like a 200 would feel a tad heavy. Will be fishing it tonight, and will run a few different plugs and weight ranges on it. 
I’m a die hard Lami guy, but have a few from the ODM lineup over the last 5 years, and have to say that they are quickly becoming my favorite rods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure yet…. I literally just got home and opened up the shipping tube tube and put it on the scale.  You’re not kidding though, that shipping tube that SWE uses is the heaviest rod shipping tube I’ve ever seen!  It’s walls are at least 4x thicker than the Tackle Direct shipping tubes.

 

Initial impressions are very positive…  fit and finish seem very nice.  The blank itself is very thin, thinner than the blank on the 9’6” Airwave Elite if I recall correctly.  I do like how it feels in hand with the Saragosa 6K SWA at 16 oz.  For reference, I felt that the Slammer III 4500 at 14.7 oz felt a hair small on the 9’6” Airwave Elite.  I’m picky like that. :)

 

I did throw my VSX200 on it and that is  waaaay too much reel for the 10’ Genesis IMO.  I’ll most likely pickup either the 11’ Genesis or the 11’ GSB for the VSX200 (two very different rods, I know).
 

Again, these are just my first impressions playing around with it for a bit in the den.  We’ll see  how it goes in the wild.  I will say that I am very happy with the purchase and this will probably serve as my everyday surfcasting rod.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the input. Those rod tubes from salt waters edge are amazing lol. I’m still trying to figure out my next rod that I’m gonna pick up. I’m not sure if an 11 footer is to much rod for me. I always find myself fishing the occasional jetty and think to myself that an extra foot would be too much. I was thinking I could get the 10 foot genesis but I also occasionally throw a 4 oz bucktail so I don’t think the 10 foot could handle that. I think I just need a a jetty/inlet rod. I guess just another excuse to buy another rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Water Dog nice to hear the 6000 Gosa balanced out well with the 10ft. Should be expecting mine on Friday. @Chrishockey the previous version of the 10’ genesis was rated 3/4-4 if you were really set on picking up one of these.. however the new 11’ also sounds nice 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, frisco_25 said:

@Water Dog nice to hear the 6000 Gosa balanced out well with the 10ft. Should be expecting mine on Friday. @Chrishockey the previous version of the 10’ genesis was rated 3/4-4 if you were really set on picking up one of these.. however the new 11’ also sounds nice 

That’s my issue right now. Get the older 10 foot or the new 11 foot? Decisions Decisions 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Chrishockey said:

Thanks for the input. Those rod tubes from salt waters edge are amazing lol. I’m still trying to figure out my next rod that I’m gonna pick up. I’m not sure if an 11 footer is to much rod for me. I always find myself fishing the occasional jetty and think to myself that an extra foot would be too much. I was thinking I could get the 10 foot genesis but I also occasionally throw a 4 oz bucktail so I don’t think the 10 foot could handle that. I think I just need a a jetty/inlet rod. I guess just another excuse to buy another rod. 

 

The 10’ medium jGSB would very much fit the bill for what you’re describing I would think.  It would also pair very well with your VSX200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Water Dog said:

 

The 10’ medium jGSB would very much fit the bill for what you’re describing I would think.  It would also pair very well with your VSX200.

That’s rated 2-5 right. How accurate is that? Like can I get away with throwing a 1.5oz bucktail? Or even a sp minnow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10’ GSB is stiffer than the 11’ GSB in my experience.  You can throw less than 1.5 oz but it won’t be ideal, whereas I’d feel better throwing down to1 oz with the 11’ GSB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, Water Dog said:

10’ GSB is stiffer than the 11’ GSB in my experience.  You can throw less than 1.5 oz but it won’t be ideal, whereas I’d feel better throwing down to1 oz with the 11’ GSB.

 

4 mins ago, Water Dog said:

10’ GSB is stiffer than the 11’ GSB in my experience.  You can throw less than 1.5 oz but it won’t be ideal, whereas I’d feel better throwing down to1 oz with the 11’ GSB.

Yup what he said. I like the 10m much better for fishing lead on jetty’s. Also the shorter rod is easier to land fish with on a jetty 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing with the all the new genesis’s’s’s (genesi? Genitals? What the plural?) they are sweet. Steve from ODM said weight wise the 10’ pairs better with a VR over a vsx because the rod is so light. As with all the other ODM’s, they’ll throw that full range with no problem. @Chrishockey It’ll send an SP. Ill check it with a 1 1/2 oz Bucktail in a little bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading this thread, that the new gen. Genesis was available at SWE, I just went and ordered the 1035 unit to pair with a VS VR150 .. which weighs the same as a Saragossa SW 6K.  I’m going from a first gen. Genesis 93 to this new NXGX 1035.
 

I’m not usually an early adopter. But I’ve had Good experience with the first gen. Genesis 11’ & 9’ models. I also have had the DNA rods in 8 & 9ft which are nice. So I’m optimistic this NXGX 1035 ends my search for the best all around surf caster for 2 ounce lures.

 

We shall see :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Water Dog said:

The 10 footer comes in at 10.6 oz.

 

 

6E38D06C-AE3C-42BE-BA9F-DA051E1494E9.jpeg

I kinda suspected that reported  5.75 oz for 10' was off, why I replied if it is a noodle lol. I never used odm, but I heard many good things about older genesis line from random sources. Enjoy your new toy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.