Kml

Identity Guard ?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I’m in a situation where I may need to disclose some financial information to a property management company to secure a lease. 

I don’t know why but it freaks me out a little bit. 

I am thinking about signing up for Identity Guard in advance of any sharing of personal information. 

Dicuss

11 mins ago, Kml said:

I’m in a situation where I may need to disclose some financial information to a property management company to secure a lease. 

I don’t know why but it freaks me out a little bit. 

I am thinking about signing up for Identity Guard in advance of any sharing of personal information. 

Dicuss

Do they need to see you SSN?  If you don't give them that, I don't know of a way to get at your credit. 

I think you can put a lock on your credit report for free. Problem being anytime you want to open a card they charge ten to temporarily lift it. If you are unsure of the company may be well worth it. 

30 mins ago, JaseB said:

Do they need to see you SSN?  If you don't give them that, I don't know of a way to get at your credit. 

They want 2 years of tax returns. 

I am not concerned with them I am concerned with how they will store this information. Even if they had a digital vault or somethiing where the docs could be uploaded. They say just email it to me.

Oh yeah, that will not be happening. 

If you do decide to get it, check carefully, there are multiple situations where they will do nothing.

Only use email if they have a secure email system.  Open email is asking for trouble.  Normally financial institutions have rules about accepting emails with that type of information.  If an employee breaks that rule they could be fired.

Any time I have dealt with financial institutions, information was never sent by un-secure email. 

Just now, mybeach said:

Banks and the like should be using an encryption service for financial documents sent via email.  If not, they are untrustworthy. 

It is not for a bank. It is a property manager for a lease. 

I was able to make anonymous the things that needed to be blacked out and sent that. It should be good but I won’t know until tomorrow. 

18 mins ago, mybeach said:

Kev, at a minimum you can protect a document by saving it with a password and sharing that password with the recipient. 

I am aware. My corporate stuff is so locked down they disable a lot of that stuff. I was trying to do that to get a pay stub out of the system. I just took screen shots and scribbled out the personal stuff. 

I love when people send me a password protected document and they put the password in the same email as the document. 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:58 AM, squidder 329 said:

I think you can put a lock on your credit report for free. 

After the equifax hack, I did that. Just assume your ssn is readily available.