WindAndWater

Anyone Interested in Fishing Raritan Bay With Me In My Small Boat?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I have a 14' tin mod-v boat with a 20 hp 4s Yamaha on it. It's a solid and reliable rig. 

 

I've been kicking around the idea of fishing Raritan Bay sometime soon. Maybe next week if the weather is ideal for some of those stripers and bluefish that are still around.

 

I've read tons of older threads, both in this site and on other forums about small boats out in the bay. Feels like I have a really good idea of the risks that come with doing this. 

 

Curious if any of you would be up for this? I was thinking I would probably go out of the Keyport ramp. 

 

Again, it's just an idea I'm kicking around. Not fully committed to it. 

 

Feel free to msg me. Thanks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the process of moving so can’t spare the time to go out but I zip around LIS in my 16-footer all the time. It gets too windy to fly fish before it gets too windy for my boat so little boat works for me!  Go for it and have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WindAndWater said:

I have a 14' tin mod-v boat with a 20 hp 4s Yamaha on it. It's a solid and reliable rig. 

 

I've been kicking around the idea of fishing Raritan Bay sometime soon. Maybe next week if the weather is ideal for some of those stripers and bluefish that are still around.

 

I've read tons of older threads, both in this site and on other forums about small boats out in the bay. Feels like I have a really good idea of the risks that come with doing this. 

 

Curious if any of you would be up for this? I was thinking I would probably go out of the Keyport ramp. 

 

Again, it's just an idea I'm kicking around. Not fully committed to it. 

 

Feel free to msg me. Thanks!!!

You're a little crazy, just saying.. plus about a month too late

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Goldy said:

You're a little crazy, just saying.. plus about a month too late

Hmm yeah. I wanted to venture out a little bit and see how it goes. There’s a lot of threads and comments about fishing the bay in a small boat. On The Water even did an article about it. :) 
 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Hmm yeah. I wanted to venture out a little bit and see how it goes. There’s a lot of threads and comments about fishing the bay in a small boat. On The Water even did an article about it. :) 
 


 

 

I dont kayak but I imagine a small boat would have to follow the same rules. Be careful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Hmm yeah. I wanted to venture out a little bit and see how it goes. There’s a lot of threads and comments about fishing the bay in a small boat. On The Water even did an article about it. :) 
 


 

 

Be smart about it out there.  25 ft plus twin engine boats have 0 interest in kayakers safety and nor will they for yours.  Keep your distance and pay attention to them and the wind. I've had the wind change to a hard east when it was not forecasted and had to ride the backs of the white caps 4 miles back to my launch while tending to cross wakes of those boats I caution you about.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to go out of Keyport in a boat that size years ago when I was young.  Gotta pick your days.  Wind at 10-15, don't bother.  10 or less is ok.  Watch out for wind against the tide.  I would not go chasing around the bay.  Stay by the sailboats and out to buoy 1.  Fluke & blues should be around.  Stripers close to Keyport are moving more to the east, and the water back there is getting warm for them.  

 

Weekdays are better because there are fewer wakes.  The majority of larger boats will wake you, and it can be a pain when wakes are coming from multiple directions.   

 

It's also worth checking out the ramps on the shrewsbury & navesink.  There is some decent fishing in both.  I tendered to go for the shrewsbury.  Up there, should be able to get fluke.  Blues & or Stripers, but those 2 tend to become more of an after sunset fishing now that it's mid June.  

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.