Catfishing gone wrong

Rate this topic

Heron25

Good shoot.  Let him walk...

A freshman Virginia Tech linebacker charged with murder told cops he fatally beat a man – breaking every bone in his face – for catfishing him on Tinder, prosecutors said.

Isimemen David Etute, 18, told cops he went to the Blacksburg apartment of 40-year-old Jerry Smith in April for oral sex after matching up with someone named “Angie” on Tinder, the Roanoke Times reported.

Etute then returned to the apartment on May 31 for another meet-up, at which point he discovered the person he had matched up with this time was male, according to Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Jason Morgan, citing details the now-suspended linebacker told cops.

Etute told investigators he punched Smith five times in the face and “stomped” on him, but didn’t call police despite hearing “bubbling and gurgling” from the victim as he left the apartment. Cops found the badly beaten man’s body one day later, the newspaper reported.

The linebacker’s parents and sister attended Wednesday’s hearing, as well as a dozen Virginia Tech football players, most of whom were wearing team gear, according to the report.

An autopsy revealed Smith, a restaurant worker, died from blunt force trauma to the head. All of the bones in his face were broken and his teeth were also missing, the Roanoke Times reported.

Etute, who is charged with second-degree murder, was arrested on June 2. His attorney, Jimmy Turk, told a judge the case was “more than someone just showing up to an apartment and punching someone.”

Turk later addressed reporters outside of court.

“Nobody deserves to die, but I don’t mind saying, don’t pretend you are something that you are not,” Turk told reporters outside the courtroom. “Don’t target or lure anyone under that perception. That’s just wrong.”

Sometimes, when you're in a dark place, you think you've been buried, but you've actually been planted.  

he went to the Blacksburg apartment of 40-year-old Jerry Smith in April for oral sex after matching up with someone named “Angie” on Tinder, the Roanoke Times reported.

Etute then returned to the apartment on May 31 for another meet-up,

I'm missing something...  So did he like Jerry Smith's oral skills in April and then feel shame for accepting gay oral sex and go back to kill him in May? 

19 mins ago, ErikT said:

he went to the Blacksburg apartment of 40-year-old Jerry Smith in April for oral sex after matching up with someone named “Angie” on Tinder, the Roanoke Times reported.

Etute then returned to the apartment on May 31 for another meet-up,

I'm missing something...  So did he like Jerry Smith's oral skills in April and then feel shame for accepting gay oral sex and go back to kill him in May? 

I was trying to figure that part out also.  I thought either no one was there the first time or an Angie was actually there the first time and it's a known spot for these kinds of things.  

Sometimes, when you're in a dark place, you think you've been buried, but you've actually been planted.  

Two things:

1) The article doesn't specify if the initial hookup was successful. If it were, then maybe his return trip was a "follow up visit" for a more extensive "cleaning"?

2) Apparently this guy wasn't the brightest bulb in the box, if he was resorting to some online date/sex website, and he apparently could choose a "socket instead of a plug".

Add to that the amount of damage the victim suffered from, and I'd say some kind of steroid/drug enhancement could be involved. Maybe he was more upset that he couldn't get it up the second time?

Who knows, but at least he'll be famous (or more likely infamous)

I wonder if one of his teammates might have hacked his dating profile and set him up?

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

2 hours ago, Heron25 said:

Good shoot.  Let him walk...

Etute then returned to the apartment on May 31 for another meet-up, at which point he discovered the person he had matched up with this time was male

I am guessing that he did not realize that Angie was a dude the first time they hooked up :idea: hence the face smashing

Edited by Reel Deely