Rob greenpond

Opinions please--Diawa BG MQ or Shimano Saragossa SW??

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello Folks,

I recently purchased a "Black Hole Striped Bass Special Rod (10', 1-6 oz) for use in the Cape Cod Canal---as a do everything 1 rod.  I've used the rod 2x so far and can say this has been a great all around rod for both throwing plugs and jigs---threw SPs (1.5 oz) and Jigs up to 4.3oz no problems at all.  

Now looking for a new reel to match up with this rod (currently using a Diawa BG 4500 black/gold).  I've been a looong time Shimano guy, so looking closely at the Shimano Saragossa 8000, but to tell you the truth the Diawa BG has been a shocker as to performance, quality, and price.  So now I'm torn between Diawa and Shimano---these are the two reels:

1.2021 Diawa BG MQ 8000, $250 (22 oz, 340 yards 40 braid, speed is about 43 inches per crank); or

2. 2021 Shimano Saragosa SW 8000 $279 and very close specifications to the Diawa. 

This Rod/Reel set up will be used 100% at the Cape Cod Canal tossing all the usual canal jigs like Al Gag paddle tails, Savage Sandeels,....etc., ranging 2--5oz mostly and plugs like Stick Shads, Pencil Poppers, Magic Swimmers....etc ranging 2--5oz mostly (same weight as jigs).   

The question: which is this the "best" reel for the job requirements??  I am very concerned about the Shimano Saragossa "WOBBLE" that I've read about--although I do not understand it--nor can even believe a company like Shimano would ever make anything that wobbles....I've heard/read lots of complaints though so maybe its true??  

Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions...etc.  Just trying to get it right the first time.

-Rob

Gosa all day every day and twice on sundays

I'd take a gosa over a new stella all day everyday and once on sunday

I would choose the Saragosa (but SW-A) because you can repair it, not magsealed....the minimum advantage of the BG is 1.8oz lighter, 6%.

2 hours ago, canary said:

I would choose the Saragosa (but SW-A) because you can repair it, not magsealed....the minimum advantage of the BG is 1.8oz lighter, 6%.

MQ isn't mag sealed..not that I'm aware of.   But you need a specific tool to get passed the sideplate

For canal use the Gosa SWA 14000 is what you want. More line capacity and a much faster retrieve rate (53 vs 42 inches per turn). The only advantage to a 8000 is one ounce of weight savings. You will never notice an ounce, but you will notice your jigs getting hung up on the bottom when the slower retrieve catches the hump. 

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Gosa all day every day and twice on sundays

I'd take a gosa over a new stella all day everyday and once on sunday

If the Gosa and the Stella were both free, would you still choose the Gosa?

Just curious as I have both (Gosa SWA / Stella SWC - same size) and I find myself picking up the Stella more often.

7 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

MQ isn't mag sealed..not that I'm aware of.   But you need a specific tool to get passed the sideplate

Sealing on the MQ SUX.  I accidentally dunked mine and had to take it apart, clean and re grease it.  After one dunk it actually started to lock up from salt.  Guessing it was salt…. 

That said, the reel casts great and is very smooth.  Not sure it’s worth the money over the regular BG though

I have two of the new Gosas and wouldn't imagine getting more for my money.

I'm only nice to my reels off the water - during trips I expect my money to mean something.

Remember also, before last years releases - Gosa/BG were kings of their ranges.

The new Gosa hasn't gotten worse, while the MQ is a whole different reel. New approach, new price, magseal circus.

Thanks for all the great opinions/experiences!  Sounds like the Gosa May be a tough reel to beat.  I was initially expecting the MQ to be a good solid competitor to the Gosa but now not so sure.

13 hours ago, Saltfruit said:

I have two of the new Gosas and wouldn't imagine getting more for my money.

I'm only nice to my reels off the water - during trips I expect my money to mean something.

Remember also, before last years releases - Gosa/BG were kings of their ranges.

The new Gosa hasn't gotten worse, while the MQ is a whole different reel. New approach, new price, magseal circus.

NO magseal is in that reel...unless it's in the line roller bearings then it's nothing to worry about

18 hours ago, dgul said:

If the Gosa and the Stella were both free, would you still choose the Gosa?

Just curious as I have both (Gosa SWA / Stella SWC - same size) and I find myself picking up the Stella more often.

It seems to me at least..the Stella SW has become more and more of a pride of ownership purchase than an investment in function.  

Nothing wrong with that.....as I have an 21 Exsense that dust is now threatening and a Conquest 100 sitting next to an aldebaran bfs......yet I chose to use it to throw 1/8oz baits :)