What size red dot

Rate this topic

webfoot44

Older eyes = larger MOA. I found at my age the 5 MOA was the best choice.

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

I like the 3 moa on my handguns. I found that after a while you become used to the bouncing dot and feel comfortable with it. Have one on 3 of my 4 guns and plan on adding one to that one. Best thing when you get the "readers" stage of life.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

11 hours ago, webfoot44 said:

Thanks for the info guys. Now I have to decide on which sight to get. 

FWIW, I've been satisfied with the Sig Romeo 1 Pro, 4, 5 and 7...the MOTAC shake and wake is proven and Sig's Warranty is about as easy as it gets.  I don't use Night Vision but on the flip side all their products I've used so far have good presentation in Outdoor lighting.

I have (2) HOLOSUN 510C mounted on a couple Weatherby 12 Gauge shotties (pump and a semi) and they've literally had the sheet beat out of them...no complaints and I really like the crispness of the Dot. 

Vortex let me down with a 4 week turnaround on a broken Venom BUT all other communication with them has been stellar.  YMMV

I'd like to try the Delta Point but haven't purchased anything recently to give it a try.

ALOT of folks love the Burris Fastfire but their Customer Service has gone to pot (zero chance they'll take a phone call and I've had legitimate emails never responded to...this coming from a Burris diehard fan).

I don't have the budget for Red Dots that are war ready but I can see their value.

Good luck!

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

On 6/10/2021 at 11:39 PM, webfoot44 said:

What brand sights  are you using?

Trijicon SRO on a Glock 34. I find the domed (round) glass helps in training to keep both eyes open as opposed to the RMR model.

Marc

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.

On 6/11/2021 at 2:26 PM, ferret said:

I'm a noob so take my opinion with a grain of salt.  Anyway, I thought you want less MOA in darker situations and more MOA in brighter situations.

You're on the right track however MOA refers to the size of the visible Dot.  IMHO, clarity of the dot is equally as important as the choice of Dot size.  Crank up most any of the no-name imports and you'll go mad looking at the starburst effect.  YMMV

The wheels on my reels go round and round...round and round...round and round...

Red dots for me are a necessity. Older eye syndrome as others have said and wearing glasses when I shoot are some of life's changes when you get older. I like the 6 MOA or as close to it you can get. My shooting is night and day difference with the red dot. I have 4 handguns and they all have red dots. I have one more to do and I am set.