Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 9 - June 17

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Weak tide and no wind = tough fishing. Nothing out front, found some fish in the back but they were super picky. More short hits then hook ups.  With no wind the No See Ums were out in force, no amount of bug spray was keeping them at bay.  They will drive you insane after awhile. First time this year i have had to deal with them.

In comparison to previous years, i am seeing way less bait in spots then i would have expected.  Maybe things are still behind but a little concerning as there doesnt seem to be much to keep bass in place versus just moving on.

Also stopped at a few spots before dark just to observe and the Fish trap is back in a certain fishing area. I know this is legal, but it is really frustrating that it is allowed to be placed basically right in front of a designated fishing area.  It just doesnt seem right, there are miles of shoreline.  Birds were working the trap hard so something was in there.

Edited by Kooky

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Kooky said:

Also stopped at a few spots before dark just to observe and the Fish trap is back in a certain fishing area. I know this is legal, but it is really frustrating that it is allowed to be placed basically right in front of a designated fishing area.  It just doesnt seem right, there are miles of shoreline.  Birds were working the trap hard so something was in there.

I was there (jetty?) few weeks ago and it was there already. Caught nothing besides searobin....... then saw the boat hauled up a boat load of scups.

When do they take back the net? I don't see it often deployed there.

Edited by foxfai

1 min ago, foxfai said:

I was there (jetty?) few weeks ago and it was there already. Caught nothing besides searobin....... then saw the boat hauled up a boat load of scups.

Nope this is off the gansett shore line and not by a wall. They usually haul them for the year in late sept/early Oct i think it depends on when they hit their quota.

53 mins ago, foxfai said:

If it's the same place I"m thinking of, it's anchored right to the jetty...very frustrating