Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 9 - June 17

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth getting off the couch. 

Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have today with the ever changing fishing conditions. 

Move offshore today and fished the Block for the 1st time this season, the 1st of a three banger of trips to continue.

What a difference temperature wise. Seventy five degrees at the boat ramp. Winter coat on all day out in the fog.

There showed signs that there was life around. Plenty of seagulls sitting in the water. concentrations of bait at times, spaced out schoolies in the 24 inch range. 

Flew out of green yesterday, as we ascended over prov river could see a huge school of pogies getting smashed in the middle of river. Was cool to see from above!

Day two in a row out at Block Island.

The fishing was red hot for the first two hours after sunrise.

Twenty four inch stripers boiling on the surface with birds overhead.

We had really good action for the first two hours before the bait dispersed.

Seals at an undisclosed location on a well know undisclosed island, on the north side off the coast of Rhode Island.

Last count, I counted 30 with a few bobbing their head in the water.

I'm hoping with enough tourist visiting during the season, they will find it uncomfortable and move.

Hate to see them colonize and reproduce here. There goes the fishing!

IMG_2552.JPG

Very busy out there, lots of moaning and groaning. Must be mating. Kind of eerie hearing that when it’s black out. Saw some birds working out wide at dusk, but never came in due to seal mania I guess. That place is in trouble, I saw way more than 40. At sunset it’s like lines at Disney with those fat buggers come back to roost from heckling fish all around the island. Need us some whities out there I’m thinking 

Took a ride to a NE RI location - nothing great to report: several short fluke while jigging the bottom, then a handful of small schoolies on unweighted soft plastics at dusk. Probably a result of the ol' first cast first fish curse (a sea robin)

It also became apparent (from several conversations) that despite the current numbers of weakfish being reported around the state, it's mostly a boaters game, with only occasional catches from shore. Boat guys have access to spots where there are better concentrations

Out Front

Night of New Moon had steady pick of mostly 24/25" bass. Top fish ~27. Hardly every cast sort of action, but steady for several hrs until two left in the drop. Then fish departed for whereabouts unknown.

Stuck around thru dawn. Not a tap or rise after the bass took off. Deadsville at dawn, too.

Sct'd sm schools of unmolested bait 200yds offshore after sunup. Cpl ospreys really had to work for breakfast, lots of flying/scanning, circling a bit then flying off again, and dive and misses.. imo because there weren't any predators around pushing bait up to surface, where they're easier targets for Mister Fishhawk

3 nights of fishing. Had to work for it a little especially the last two days. One upper slot. Friday night lost two that I couldn’t even pump the rod back or crank line in on. reel was flexing the entire time on both. Yesterday got a bunch of sub-slot fish with this 41” fish. Lost two other big fish probably same size or high 30” range. 

7CA15A08-EA50-459A-B1FE-AB52D62C6D2C.jpeg

On 6/12/2021 at 7:57 AM, albacized said:

It also became apparent (from several conversations) that despite the current numbers of weakfish being reported around the state, it's mostly a boaters game, with only occasional catches from shore. Boat guys have access to spots where there are better concentrations

From this past Monday

20210607_195949.jpg

On 6/11/2021 at 1:21 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

Day two in a row out at Block Island.

The fishing was red hot for the first two hours after sunrise.

Twenty four inch stripers boiling on the surface with birds overhead.

We had really good action for the first two hours before the bait dispersed.

Seals at an undisclosed location on a well know undisclosed island, on the north side off the coast of Rhode Island.

Last count, I counted 30 with a few bobbing their head in the water.

I'm hoping with enough tourist visiting during the season, they will find it uncomfortable and move.

Hate to see them colonize and reproduce here. There goes the fishing!

IMG_2552.JPG

Those seals don’t reproduce..Two years ago it was worse. 

A82FC1BC-75A8-4C88-9E3C-FEAEA445C5C8.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished ~4 hours Friday evening into the night out front on the island with no luck. Maybe a bump here or there on a needle but it could have been my imagination. There was a lot of bird and surface action about 2-3 casts out but nothing in close. Hard E/ESE wind and incoming tide may have been pushing the bait out.

Fished Saturday morning about dawn through about 1030 working the front and back side of an area. No luck, no signs of life. Moved to a spot that has been productive in past years with no luck. 

Fished last night on the incoming at dusk even further up the bay and was into some small blues and even smaller bass. Switched to bigger plugs to weed them out and right before dark I had a ~40 inch striper smash a top water plug. Had to pack it up shortly after as I had an early morning at work today. 

Very interesting spring but happy to have at least some action. Spending 3-4 hours every night and/or morning with not even a sign of life has been a little frustrating. 

CF3230FF-3E8B-4F84-A2B3-DED6E448C9D9.jpeg

Edited by AClarke