jeffreyrichard

Fishfinder electric connections ... ???

14 posts in this topic

I have a Garmin Striker 4 CV Plus ... last year I attached a Yak Power Power Plug so I could more solidly connect to the battery terminals and use the disconnect feature. No issues with using it. I used crimp connectors with heat shrink.

This year I tested my setup, and it turned out my Garmin unit wouldn't turn on (it tried to boot up, but then shut down). Talked to Garmin and they said most likely the unit wan't getting enough power. I tested the battery, and it was measuring 12 volts (OK on the meter). I tested the Power Plug and it was still reading OK. I connected the two power plug pieces and then tested the end go the cable that plugs into the unit ... no charge. I have a spare Power Plug pair so I connected this (new crimp connectors). No joy. Bought a new Power Cable from Garmin and hooked it all up ... still no charge. So just for Sh*** and giggles, I cut the power plug off the Garmin power cord and connected directly to the battery ... unit fired up.

I am going to ditch the Power Plug because of this problem. But here is my question ... does the crimp connections/heat shrink cause problems? That is the only thing I can think of ... thoughts?

Grab a multimeter and measure amps with everything on. That will help you find the problem. 

41 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I have a Garmin Striker 4 CV Plus ... last year I attached a Yak Power Power Plug so I could more solidly connect to the battery terminals and use the disconnect feature. No issues with using it. I used crimp connectors with heat shrink.

This year I tested my setup, and it turned out my Garmin unit wouldn't turn on (it tried to boot up, but then shut down). Talked to Garmin and they said most likely the unit wan't getting enough power. I tested the battery, and it was measuring 12 volts (OK on the meter). I tested the Power Plug and it was still reading OK. I connected the two power plug pieces and then tested the end go the cable that plugs into the unit ... no charge. I have a spare Power Plug pair so I connected this (new crimp connectors). No joy. Bought a new Power Cable from Garmin and hooked it all up ... still no charge. So just for Sh*** and giggles, I cut the power plug off the Garmin power cord and connected directly to the battery ... unit fired up.

I am going to ditch the Power Plug because of this problem. But here is my question ... does the crimp connections/heat shrink cause problems? That is the only thing I can think of ... thoughts?

yes, esp in saltwater crimp & shrink isnt going to be enough.  i mechanically bond, then solder then liquid electric tape then shrink wrap all my connections and never have any issues.

I've doused the wire and flat blade battery connector liberally in dielectric grease before crimping. So far it seems to work, and I don't protect my battery at all, just bag that keeps off the bottom of the hull. The disconnect to the FF power wire is another story, I'm gonna solder, then grease, then shrink tube it. 

Honestly, I think the salt and moisture goes right through the vinyl wire jacket. I've stripped pretty far up and it's still corroded.

20 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Grab a multimeter and measure amps with everything on. That will help you find the problem. 

Jeff, I did this ... was reading 12 volts through the power plug 1/2 that was connected to the battery. When I connected the two pieces of the Power Plug, I got no volts reading at the unit connector plug. When I eliminated the power plugs and the crimps I got power ... ? Can crimping be that hit or miss?

12 hours ago, gellfex said:

Honestly, I think the salt and moisture goes right through the vinyl wire jacket. I've stripped pretty far up and it's still corroded.

Yes ... my 1st FF installation with a transducer set inside my hull lasted only 2 years before I couldn't get any readings on my Hummingbird. I had no issues with my Hobie wiring of the Garmin last year (1st year). However, it seemed over the winter the power plug corroded some. 

I had a removable setup for a while (Cellblox with transducer arm) ... wires definitely experienced markedly less corrosion, but the setup is a PIA

14 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Jeff, I did this ... was reading 12 volts through the power plug 1/2 that was connected to the battery. When I connected the two pieces of the Power Plug, I got no volts reading at the unit connector plug. When I eliminated the power plugs and the crimps I got power ... ? Can crimping be that hit or miss?

Your're not measuring volts, you are measuring amps or current. If you have a bad crimp, wire too small, strands came apart, you will see it on amps. Here is how you measure amps. 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Your're not measuring volts, you are measuring amps or current. If you have a bad crimp, wire too small, strands came apart, you will see it on amps. Here is how you measure amps. 

LOL, I have one of those free Harbor Freight meters too! Not as sweet as my Fluke, wish it had continuity tone, but the best meter is the one you have where you are.

Crimps and heat shrink if done properly are sufficient.  I used to solder everything but had more issues with them than properly done crimps.  Watch videos on how to crimp properly.  It seems simple but I've seen a lot of people do it incorrectly.  Use heat shrink with adhesive on the inside, it should create a waterproof see if done correctly.

I learned something the hard way recently.  There is such a thing as marine-grade wire.  The individual strands of copper are tinned to prevent corrosion.  I had used regular wire on an install and after a year or two the wire corroded and broke.  I tried to strip it back to find good wire but the corrosion kept going along the length of the wire.  I ordered marine grade wire on eBay and problem solved.

Use dielectric grease on all connections.

Lastly, make sure your disconnect the battery BEFORE disconnecting and other connectors in the system.  If the battery is still connected and any other connections come into contact with water, the current from the battery will drive galvanic corrosion FAST.  With the old Lorance units that had a single connector for power and sonar, people destroyed the connectors in a single trip by not disconnecting the battery.

19 hours ago, atv223 said:

Lastly, make sure your disconnect the battery BEFORE disconnecting and other connectors in the system.  If the battery is still connected and any other connections come into contact with water, the current from the battery will drive galvanic corrosion FAST.  With the old Lorance units that had a single connector for power and sonar, people destroyed the connectors in a single trip by not disconnecting the battery.

Interesting ... never considered this but will going forward.  

I use the ANCOR brand crimp connectors that have heat shrink tubing in my setup.  I also use dielectric grease prior to crimping, crimp then melt the heat shrink.  I then apply another layer of heat shrink tubing over the crimped connectors as an added layer of protection.  This has worked well for me.   

20 hours ago, gellfex said:

LOL, I have one of those free Harbor Freight meters too! Not as sweet as my Fluke, wish it had continuity tone, but the best meter is the one you have where you are.

They work for what you’re doing 

On 6/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, gellfex said:

I've doused the wire and flat blade battery connector liberally in dielectric grease before crimping. So far it seems to work, and I don't protect my battery at all, just bag that keeps off the bottom of the hull. The disconnect to the FF power wire is another story, I'm gonna solder, then grease, then shrink tube it. 

Use marine shielded electric wire

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Use marine shielded electric wire

I'm talking about the wire that came on the unit.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, The Riddler said:

So ... my meter is such that I set it for 12 volts, and it registers a GOOD to BAD on the meter ... I assumed it was volts.