Alferd Packer

Slammer 6500 high speed

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Happy Tuesday. I’m heading to Cabo in a month and looking for a high speed reel. My local store has the 6500 HS in stock and I can use points to get about $70 off. 

Thoughts? Anyone with experience with one? 

The other option would be a Saragossa 14000 SWA, but no one has in stock locally. 

Well, the Saragosa you can not get it on time....And 2nd the Slammer is contrasted, I have the 7500  for bottom fishing and ok.....the bad thing is that the lower part of the pinion supports directly with the reel frame!.

Other high speed reel choices:  Saltist 5000 48"; Daiwa BG 5000 48"; Daiwa BG 8500 53" (30 oz); Saltist 4500H (used older version) 48".  Choose your price point and features.  They all work good.  I have all of these except the 4500H, as well as the Slammer 3 6500HS and they all work well and I use them interchangeably.  If this is a one time trip to Cabo, maybe consider the BG's.  They are a great value choice based on quality for the price, plus they are "easy" to breakdown and clean/service - just look here for Scooby's excellent video on how to break them down.

I'm booked for extreme kayak fishing in Panama next year. Popping rooster fish and jigging cubbera snapper all usually over 50lbs . This is the reel the lodge recommends.

Here in florida the shark guys all use the 9500 and 10500.

Don't let others tell you it's crap.Ive had 4500 and 5500 since they were released. The reels kick ass .

Posted (edited) · Report post

32 mins ago, RKG1 said:

reelfire, which reel are you referring to?

They recommend the 8500 because of the size of their fish. Slammer 3. Very popular for sharks here on east coast of florida.

Edited by reelfire