FISH BUCKET

lexa 400 ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FISH BUCKET said:

is lexa hd 400xs-p strng enought to use on a chunking rod for bass/drum?

absolutely

1 hour ago, FISH BUCKET said:

Yes. They use it for tuna. 

3 hours ago, FISH BUCKET said:

That reel is fully capable, buy one and go fish it!

HH

I already have one.....just was wondering because it has an 8 t0 1 ratio if it would have the guts for bigger fish......i guess it does

Although it can handle big fish, how's castability from the surf as the OP is intending to use it?  Can't say I've seen anyone fish a low profile reel from the surf soaking bait.  I've used round Abu levelwind before to soak bait from the surf and casting isn't great but it manages.  Once I switched to non-levelwind, the sky is the limit in terms of distance.  

Casting is it’s strong point! With 40lb braid and 5/6oz and bait i can cast over the bar(about 150yds)........

i center level wind and don’t think it costs me any distance.......and it makes reeling in so easy

Sudsy wrote a detailed post about the 400 several years ago, which persuaded me to buy one.  I don't use it as a general purpose surf reel, as he does, but I DO like it. I haven't had anything on it yet that tested the drag, enough to matter. It does cast nicely.

The Lexa 400hd is an awesome reel. I got one the first year they came out. Used it on the yak in the salt several times yearly and it held up great for the whole year while my Curado 300e or Tranx 300/400 reels would already show need for service and maintenance after a few trips. I’ve gotten a few 20-60 pound tuna on it off sportfishing boats. Love throwing a colt sniper with that reel. Throws it waaaay out there and you can burn it back in. Very little wasted time and effort. Really fun for schoolie sized fish. I still have the 7.1 model and after 5+ years it’s still going strong. I’ll say that the only time I had problems  with the reel was when I sent it to Daiwa for servicing. Used it 2-3 times and it wasn’t working exactly as it should. Luckily was able to get it quickly serviced locally which doesn’t always happen during the season. 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:36 PM, FISH BUCKET said:

I already have one.....just was wondering because it has an 8 t0 1 ratio if it would have the guts for bigger fish......i guess it does

The Lexa 400 is more then capable.

For casting out weight and bait I actually prefer a higher gear ratio anyway, allows you to get your bait off the bottom and back to shore quickly, which in my case helps avoid snags on the bottom.