PeteA

Loading Redfins and Bombers ?????

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PeteA said:

Anyone use lead split shot to load their redfins? 

I never used shot but I’m sure it work just fine. Ever better then BB’s they won’t rust if water gets in to the plug. 

I have used water and test floated them. I found this bb loaded one and like that the water doesn’t evaporate. Thanks to whomever made it. Caught a 36” on it this fall. It started to take on water tho through the belly hook hanger. Will see if my glue job worked. Just got some redingfins. Nice to have know they are thru wired. 

C4197E59-CB9C-4A9C-BB16-38F6234FB8DB.jpeg

12 hours ago, PeteA said:

Anyone use lead split shot to load their redfins? 

I did this to one. It can sometimes ruin the action if the lead is not in balance on the retrieve. I've learned and leave all my SPs and Bombers alone except for the hardware. 

Redfins are easy to load with whatever you want without hurting too much action but bombers are not. I loaded a bomber with water and it worked until it evaporated. I load this bomber again with water. No luck using bb on the bomber because the belly hook area was blocking the bb from moving to the tail. I think birdshots might work but I don't have any. 

38 mins ago, Batman67 said:

Birdshot #8 on redfins, both 5 and 7 inch. Glue around hook hangers and nose. No reason to load bombers.

Oh, there's definitely a reason to load bomber's. Just not with shot.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 10:37 PM, Steve_M said:

Is that shop in point pleasant 

Yes sir.  Now I will say another member on here was fishing with me.  We both were throwing our loaded redfins.  His cracked in half after only a couple of fish. 

Just to save some headache- I liked the adding water/oil idea and though maybe adding epoxy (via syringe) instead would be an improvement. 

Long story short- it really killed the action. I tried various plugs- it worked ok on some old Yozuri swimmers, so so on bombers and ng on Redfin. Maybe I added too much on the Redfin? I did let them dry as level as possible- but I think due to the fact that the weight didn’t move inside worked against it... 

maybe someone can improve on the epoxy method... I threw in the towel lol 

2 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

Just to save some headache- I liked the adding water/oil idea and though maybe adding epoxy (via syringe) instead would be an improvement. 

Long story short- it really killed the action. I tried various plugs- it worked ok on some old Yozuri swimmers, so so on bombers and ng on Redfin. Maybe I added too much on the Redfin? I did let them dry as level as possible- but I think due to the fact that the weight didn’t move inside worked against it... 

maybe someone can improve on the epoxy method... I threw in the towel lol 

I remember a long time ago when a new (to me) fishing friend showed me his loaded plugs. He was a "club guy" and was instructed on how "the club" loaded plugs. Drill a hole and drop epoxy coated lead shot into the RF. Needless to say he ruined every RF he owned and begged for a fix. I told him the fix was there was no fix and to throw hundreds of dollars worth of plugs in the garbage. 

Every offseason I load RF with mineral oil, and every season end I swear I won't do it again.  Always a mess in my bags/storage areas.  

That said, they work really well and my OCD/superstitious nature just won't let me switch to anything else.  Maybe I'll give water a shot and get into some fish next year and break the tradition.

I do have a few loaded with 316 stainless bearings that I use occasionally, but don't seem to have the same success (most likely user error/lack of confidence).

Edited by FoliFish