PeteA

Loading Redfins and Bombers ?????

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m a relative newbie but it’s starting to come together a bit. I’ve been reading a lot here. Watching a lot of John Skinner and Zeno Hromin videos on plugs and actions. I’ve been throwing more plugs each time out to try to get more confidence and understand the feel and action of each plug. And I’ve started to catch some nice fish. Caught 4 blues on Saturday ranging in size from 22-28 inches. So now to my question. I have a number of Redfins and Bombers in my bag. They range from .5 oz to 1.5 oz. I’ve seen a couple videos of guys weighting lighter lures by filling them with water or mineral oil to enhance casting distance and action. So how do I know how much weight to add before the effects are detrimental to the action? In the videos there is a magic number of 10cc, buts thats only about a 3rd of an oz I believe. I don'r have a syringe. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Pic of lures and syringe below. 

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

Edited by PeteA

I put the 10 cc's of mineral oil in then let the plug sit in the sink of water.  I want the lip to be horizontal with the surface of the water.  If not I'll add a little more or drain if necessary.   This is for Redfins only.  Never loaded a Bomber. 

Remove the middle hook on those plugs. It will save you some trouble.  And bombers are good, never loaded one, I switched mostly to hydro minnows and sp's in place of bombers.. 

I personally don’t like water evaporates and oil leaks. I’ve come to like BB’s, large  redfins with hooks 1.5 oz and 5” ones .75 oz does the trick for me. I fill the drilled hole with hot glue and few swipes of Sally’s hard as nails. The others I haven’t tried yet. 

3 hours ago, Mark L said:

I personally don’t like water evaporates and oil leaks. I’ve come to like BB’s, large  redfins with hooks 1.5 oz and 5” ones .75 oz does the trick for me. I fill the drilled hole with hot glue and few swipes of Sally’s hard as nails. The others I haven’t tried yet. 

Do the BBs make the plug rattle? 

18 hours ago, PaulS said:

Yes it does. If the water is flat and the fish are close I would fish an unloaded Redfin over a loaded Redfin any day.

Looks like i might try what i have first before loading up. Was just hoping for a little more casting distance. Thx man. 

Edited by PeteA

1 hour ago, PeteA said:

Looks like i might try what i have first before loading up. Was just hoping for a little more casting distance. Thx man. 

They are cheap enough where you can have some loaded and unloaded.

4 hours ago, fmtuna said:

Get a bucket of water and get to work....

In my opinion, this is the best video out there for loading.  Don't like using water as it evaporates - having said that, over time, the oil will leak.  Also, as someone else posted, I use Sally's Hard as Nails polish over the sealed hole too.  Btw - I, like everyone else, love the SP Minnow...however, these old school plugs have awesome action!  Enjoy them!

4 hours ago, fmtuna said:

Get a bucket of water and get to work....

Edited by CTnewbie

If only the guy doing the video was not so ugly..... :howdy:

Totally agree with the comment about not using a loaded one when not necessary.. they throw and swim great when the wind isn't blowing, and slow rolling it on the surface to make a long and attractive wake is the way to go if you can.

Edited by fmtuna