ace4570

Bomber Long A / Redfin / SP Minnow Upgrades

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Recently I've found myself purchasing more and more swimmer plugs. Much like freshwater hard baits the hardware that comes stock is junk. Does anyone know the best upgrades for these plugs in terms of hardware, hook style and placement?

I always use the hardware that comes on the plug.  My laziness.  Haven't had too many issues, although a treble actually split on a Yozuri prop bait in FW.

SP minnows hooks are no good in my experience nor are the splint rings. I haven't purchased new ones in awhile buy if you use the search function on this site or Google, you'll find plenty of upgrade tips for them.

Do your self a favor and upgrade the hooks and rings on everything. I prefer 4x vmc. Some guys prefer mustad. I believe some of the plugs you mentioned now state " vmc hooks" but there not 4x. Changing out the rings is just as important. 

I don't use Bombers much, but have a lot of experience with Redfins, SPs, and Mambos...and I ALWAYS replace the stock hardware with 4/0 VMC 4x trebles and #5 Spro split rings.

Costs a little bit extra and takes a few mins per lure, but 10000% worth the peace of mind in my book...

In fact, I was fishing next to a guy the other night who hooked, fought, and ultimately lost a very nice fish...We never saw it, but it was screaming his drag for a while and seemed heavy...When he reeled in, his TA clip was still attached to his leader, but no SP...

I was shocked for a second and thought he must have hooked a bass with hands, but then asked him if he had left the stock split ring on the eye of the plug...He said yup, that he always fishes them as they come right out of the box...

And there you have it...either the SP got unhooked from the TA clip...which while possible, is EXTREMELY unlikely, OR he straightened the stock split ring...and knowing how ****** they are, is MUCH more likely...Also, while I believe it's true that Diawa uses VMC hooks on SPs...there's NO WAY they're 4x. Do a test...go grab a stock hook off an SP and bend one of the tines with your pliers...they're weak as ****...Now do the same with a 4x hook, and you'll see that it's much more robust. NOTE: I don't fish swimmers with a split ring on the eye...They move just fine with the clip attached directly to the eye...