Alex G

Inlines vs trebles

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Inline single without barb only. Incase I hook myself or anyone else... One hole in the finger without barb will save a lot of pain and a trip to the ER.

received_481063286464429.jpeg.6fb7ea286fa79a187cac4afcab1c8d51.jpeg

received_3978233648929839.jpeg.3260ab47e639c14f64730980d7f3f153.jpeg

Edited by StripedBasstardz

I'm moving more and more to a single belly treble, fresh and salt.

I was early in the transition to singles......found good success with little drawback early.

Found over thousands of hours, I was definitely missing more fish and a few being significant fish.  

I also found that singles front and back still found it's way into eyeballs and gills...not at the same rate...but enough to want for a better solution.

Using a single belly treble decreased misses on "the bite i was after" and the only negatives have been wiring their mouths shut on occassion. 

Now some plugs I will still run with singles, minnow style plugs that can work with large singles such as Yozuri Hydros and FW jerkbaits......as an added bonus on FW jerks, I can glue a slotted tungsten bead at the eye and drastically alter the functionality of the bait.

In regards to dropped fish.......fish that wire their mouths shut with a treble are a wrap......but get a single treble tine in a fish and it's a gamble where singles will win out each time.  The question then becomes would that single have grabbed the same way.....which is a definite NO...singles will always grab different than a treble.....

I would love to see more using singles........but I understand why it's a tough sell......newbies or those where a fishing trip is not a daily occurance.......those that need to stick everything...etc...  But for some sticking everything that swims isn't the draw......and for them singles would be ideal.   

A good balance is a single belly treble where applicable.

Most recently I find myself fishing 2 trebles then pulling the rear treble after a few fish.   Fishing has been somewhat slow in my waters so I want to see what I'm not seeing when I have the opportunity...ie..are the fish cormorant scarred or showing signs of stress etc.

24 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm moving more and more to a single belly treble, fresh and salt.

I was early in the transition to singles......found good success with little drawback early.

Found over thousands of hours, I was definitely missing more fish and a few being significant fish.  

I also found that singles front and back still found it's way into eyeballs and gills...not at the same rate...but enough to want for a better solution.

Using a single belly treble decreased misses on "the bite i was after" and the only negatives have been wiring their mouths shut on occassion. 

Now some plugs I will still run with singles, minnow style plugs that can work with large singles such as Yozuri Hydros and FW jerkbaits......as an added bonus on FW jerks, I can glue a slotted tungsten bead at the eye and drastically alter the functionality of the bait.

In regards to dropped fish.......fish that wire their mouths shut with a treble are a wrap......but get a single treble tine in a fish and it's a gamble where singles will win out each time.  The question then becomes would that single have grabbed the same way.....which is a definite NO...singles will always grab different than a treble.....

I would love to see more using singles........but I understand why it's a tough sell......newbies or those where a fishing trip is not a daily occurance.......those that need to stick everything...etc...  But for some sticking everything that swims isn't the draw......and for them singles would be ideal.   

A good balance is a single belly treble where applicable.

Most recently I find myself fishing 2 trebles then pulling the rear treble after a few fish.   Fishing has been somewhat slow in my waters so I want to see what I'm not seeing when I have the opportunity...ie..are the fish cormorant scarred or showing signs of stress etc.

I recently "upgrade" all my plugs to one inline single hook. Loved it. Cast so much better, better action and unhooking a fish is a breeze.

20210608_114011.jpg.4fc12975b148bee49737a7c5668dc529.jpg

On 6/7/2021 at 1:37 PM, Alex G said:

1) Do inline hooks really make lures work better and easier to fish?

2)What is the rough percentage of misses on plugs with inline hooks?

3) Do inline hooks work better with blues or stripers (given that they attack lures in different manner)?

1. Nope the right sized inline will be identical to a treble. 2. Who knows, odor me misses and hits are about the same. 3. Don’t fish stripers but bluefish go for the tail, in-line works just fine if you orientate them correctly.

my experience only I am sure others will tell a different story. That being said I far far prefer unhooking fish from inline singles vs trebles regardless of barb crushing  (which I generally do.)