Alex G

Inlines vs trebles

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

There’s been a lot discussions in the past couple of years as to the effectiveness of replacing treble hooks on various lures with inline ones.  The arguments usually revolve around two aspects.  Advocates of treble hooks argue that with inline hooks fish often misses them.  Advocates of inlines say that trebles harm fish and are often hard to extract.  I wonder if anybody can shed light and/or share views on these questions:

1) Do inline hooks really make lures work better and easier to fish?

2)What is the rough percentage of misses on plugs with inline hooks?

3) Do inline hooks work better with blues or stripers (given that they attack lures in different manner)?

What I usually do is cut off two to the three treble hooks leaving one hook and fish the lure ... Then when the hook gets dull or rusty I change them to a single hook..

I fish trebles. Inline hooks can suck it. Garbage. The closest I would get to an inline is cut one of the hooks from the treble but why ruin a perfectly good legal hook? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

I fish trebles. Inline hooks can suck it. Garbage. The closest I would get to an inline is cut one of the hooks from the treble but why ruin a perfectly good legal hook? 

You must have the magic touch.. I have a very difficult time removing a treble hook from a fishes mouth so I don't use them... It is a very unhuman device to use on a living thing ..

Edited by sytheteacher

On most plugs the best balance of being fish/finger friendly and getting a good hook up ratio is a belly treble (barbs pinched) with a single rear hook. I agree the standard VMC inline hooks are complete garbage with a poor angle for the point, it just doesn't hold well in my experience. My new favorite single hook is a standard VMC siwash (permasteel) stuck into a vice with the eye turned 90 degrees so it's "in line". Now you can use a split ring and use it like any other hook. 

One note, while I haven't broken a single Siwash while turning the eye, I recommend using a bench vise and wearing eye protection, and turn slowly, just past where you want it to be. I put the hook into the vice so the only thing sticking out is a half inch or so of hook and the eye.

Edited by mtfallon88

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

You must have the magic touch.. I have a very difficult time removing a treble hook from a fishes mouth so I don't use them... It is a very unhuman device to use on a living thing ..

Ha I wish. It’s a nightmare for me (at least for bluefish) but I’m willing to deal with the cons of using trebles if it means higher hookup ratio. Last thing I want to is have a fish of a lifetime be hungry and I can’t hook it. 

3 hours ago, Alex G said:

LockedDrag, why do you think inlines are garbage?  What is their principal drawback?

Hookup ratio is trash. I go fishing to hook up and bend the rod. If I didn’t want to, I would just throw a plug with no hooks

5 hours ago, Alex G said:

There’s been a lot discussions in the past couple of years as to the effectiveness of replacing treble hooks on various lures with inline ones.  The arguments usually revolve around two aspects.  Advocates of treble hooks argue that with inline hooks fish often misses them.  Advocates of inlines say that trebles harm fish and are often hard to extract.  I wonder if anybody can shed light and/or share views on these questions:

1) Do inline hooks really make lures work better and easier to fish?

2)What is the rough percentage of misses on plugs with inline hooks?

3) Do inline hooks work better with blues or stripers (given that they attack lures in different manner)?

1. The way a lure works can be dependent on hook weight. The more weight the more it dampers movement. Thus heavy trebles could kill the action, and too light an inline could exaggerate the action. Depending on the desired performance, hook weighting could cure or cause a problem.

2. Compared to trebles, instead of missing say 1 in 10 hits, inlines are more a 4 in 10 or so miss rate. This is a pure speculative guess though and real world results will vary wildly. Many other variables to discuss here but there is no doubt that inlines are overall less effective in hook ups.

3. In lines are best for rear hooks IMO as that is where a blue usually hits. I use belly trebles and rear inlines. Good for blues, less hooks to get me or a striper's eye, and usually helps with tail action. Adding a split ring not only acclimates the inline properly  (I do point up,) but also lets the hook fold in flush upon casting which helps with aerodynamics and distance.

For best hook up rates with inlines go larger. I advise at least a 2 or 3 size advancement over trables. If you use a 3/0 belly treble, I advise a 5/0 or 6/0 rear inline. The hook acclimation of inlines makes a bigger gap an absolute necessity. 

^^^^ Sounds reasonable. 

I might add this. If you don't want to spend the startling price of an inline single to replace a tail treble, go put on a much bigger treble and then clip off two points and bends. A given plug is made for what the manufacturer thinks is the right size and weight, and the manufacturer might just know something. If it doesn't look right, put in a split ring. I don't know if it matters if the new tail "single" is nice and upright, or swims a bit cockeyed.  Experimenting hasn't shown me anything definitive next.

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

This one should be good for at least a dozen pages.

Over under line is at 15 pages.

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

This one should be good for at least a dozen pages.

6 mins ago, reelfire said:

Over under line is at 15 pages.

Vegas has it +$1.05 under 12

Coming from a freshwater perspective... I don’t throw trebles from the shore because of snags but I will from the yak. I have a couple rapalas I have swapped to inlines for just to reduce the risk of losing them when throwing between tree limbs while creek fishing. 
 I won’t use trebles when targeting pan fish or crappie for c/r but I will if I’m taking them home.

I'm slowly (like REALLY SLOWLY) switching to singles.  As my trebles rust or start to break, dull, whatever, I'll put on a single. 

Belly treble with inline tail sounds like a good idea.  Also cutting the treble.  Will have to try that.

I have Owners and VMCs.  I'll use both, might as well.

Word of warning:  If you put an inline on the belly  make sure it's not too big.  Otherwise the hook will wrap itself around the body. Giving that hook a 0% hookup ratio.

Tail inline facing up or down:  I usually face it up, but that's only because I've seen them up more often than down.

Another layer to this chat:  Plugs with more than 2 trebles, I usually remove the middle one.  Anyone do that or remove a different one?

Edited by Skunkoff