Surfrat815

Van staal 250 fs

15 posts in this topic

For sale I have a USA made Van staal 250 that does need a decent amount of work/servicing done on it. Hasn't been fished since 2017 and the handle is locked in place, but the drag seems to be ok. The serial # is 2564. Asking $275 shipped. Don't have PayPal so USPS or Walmart money order would be fine. Thanks fellas 

IMG_20210607_111904.jpg

IMG_20210607_111912.jpg

IMG_20210607_111920.jpg

Nice pickup avet4life, with your knowledge of the VS reels I bet you can solve the problem.  I bet for a few more bucks it will be running good again.  Cool Gold  VS USA250!

I would have bought it, but they can be $ to get back in service.

The reel is currently seized. At best it had water intrusion and needs bearings and clutch. The flyer needs to spin to remove the side cover. The side cover is smooth and can be difficult to remove when the flyer is free. The radial bearing under the flyer is pressed in place.

The body will need to go to Salt Waters for the removal of that radial bearing and to have a new one pressed in place. If the bearing and clutch in the side cover are gone they can be difficult or easy to replace. It is a crap shoot. Years ago you could buy the newer self service side cover with bearings for $70. Gold parts are difficult  to find. I tried buying that side cover a year and a half ago. 

The main shaft, spool, drag and drag knob are the old unsealed variety. $$$ to upgrade. 

I have rebuilt a few and I am not sure I broke even later when I sold them. 

Either way I would have bought is as well. Fun project. 

4 mins ago, ged said:

I would have bought it, but they can be $ to get back in service.

The reel is currently seized. At best it had water intrusion and needs bearings and clutch. The flyer needs to spin to remove the side cover. The side cover is smooth and can be difficult to remove when the flyer is free. The radial bearing under the flyer is pressed in place.

The body will need to go to Salt Waters for the removal of that radial bearing and to have a new one pressed in place. If the bearing and clutch in the side cover are gone they can be difficult or easy to replace. It is a crap shoot. Years ago you could buy the newer self service side cover with bearings for $70. Gold parts are difficult  to find. I tried buying that side cover a year and a half ago. 

The main shaft, spool, drag and drag knob are the old unsealed variety. $$$ to upgrade. 

I have rebuilt a few and I am not sure I broke even later when I sold them. 

Either way I would have bought is as well. Fun project. 

Avet will be landing fish with that reel 2 days after he receives it

7 hours ago, prican1 said:

Avet will be landing fish with that reel 2 days after he receives it

No doubt he knows what he is doing. Hopefully he can get parts :)

12 hours ago, avet4life said:

got reel from seller,, thanks 

20210618_112022.jpg

any idea whAt needs to be done? could start a cool thread about this project