Halcyon162

Visiting from NJ

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I’ll be staying a couple of days with my in-laws mid July and after a lot of asking from my wife (begging) I got the go ahead to fish while we are there. They reside in the Queens/Fresh meadows area.  I’ll be fishing from shore and my current plan is going to the Shinnecock canal. I’m looking to keep some fish for the table mainly porgies. Is there any closer places for porgies? Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

More like Shittee - cock Canal" .... 4 inch porgies at best, all the bait stealing cunners you can dream of and as GF mentioned above... you'll be donating all of your tackle to the mattress spring laden bottom.

I'm not a party boat guy by any stretch, but I suppose you would be better served to buck up and have a boat put you on the fish.

Think of what a hero you would be when you roll up to the MILs with a bucket full of scup!

Edited by baldadonis2002

Almost anyplace along the N shore you can fish for porgies. Problem is legal access and parking. If you want to do something different, you can cross the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bronx and go to City Island, where you can rent a skiff for the day and fish for porgies and fluke among the islands of the far western Sound. If you have kids it could be a lot of fun.

I agree, a boat trip would be your best chance that time and you could make a family trip out of it. Plus you will get the chance to throw the MIL overboard.

27 mins ago, gellfex said:

Almost anyplace along the N shore you can fish for porgies. Problem is legal access and parking. If you want to do something different, you can cross the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bronx and go to City Island, where you can rent a skiff for the day and fish for porgies and fluke among the islands of the far western Sound. If you have kids it could be a lot of fun.

Kids are still very young but that is a great idea for the future. Guess I’ll look into a party boat. Thanks

Like somebody mention before, City Island may be a good choice.

Close by and short drive.

Shinnecock canal may be a very disappointing long trip.

You may be OK just simply staying in Flashing bay, too.

Good luck.

If City Island is not in the cards, use Google maps. There's a number of parks along the Queens shore of the Sound and East River. I bet there's porgies all along there, since they're all along the whole shore. soak some clam and find out.  If you go to the Navionics website they have a free chart viewer so you can see the water depth at the various places. 

Fresh Meadows to Shinnecock is a drive. If you are keen about porgies I would look to the north shore but for a mixed bag, fluke bsb, I would go towards the south shore. Seems like your time is limited so I echo what others said about a party or charter boat 

On 6/7/2021 at 6:09 PM, Halcyon162 said:

Kids are still very young but that is a great idea for the future. Guess I’ll look into a party boat. Thanks

City Island has always had two party boats, The Island Current and the Riptide. A few clicks north you can get out on the ‘Klondike’, Capt. Gary Pearson.