Kml

Compost Bin?

Rate this topic

124 posts in this topic

My wife started some planter boxes with vegetables and herbs this year and think she needs a compost bin.

I one of them black ones that sits on a stand that can be rotated any good or what is better that requires minimum effort. If it requires work it will end up being my job. 

They have to be easier than building a bin that you'd have to turn over by hand. Been thinking about getting one myself. 

Friends have used those briefly but didn’t seem to make much. Can’t ever have enough compost.  I have two bins side by side, just metals stakes and fencing.  Pile it up in one, dig it out of the other, turn the fresh into the empty bin.  Always need a combination of brown and green material.  Alternative is to compost right in the garden. 

I just bought one of the black drums for outside and a table top bin for the kitchen counter.  I've almost filled one side (it has 2 chambers) with kitchen scraps and some old leaves.  Since I just started so I can't tell you much other than it holds stuff and turns and I'm happy not throwing coffee grounds and kitchen scraps in to a landfill.

20 mins ago, JimW said:

I have two bins side by side, just metals stakes and fencing.  Pile it up in one, dig it out of the other, turn the fresh into the empty bin.  Always need a combination of brown and green material.  Alternative is to compost right in the garden. 

This is what we do too. And by “we”, I mean my wife.

7EFBCBE4-9AFA-43F0-8E25-4B5C5E6CB433.jpeg.83d29c08f9946f2df33fbdc4859ea784.jpeg

Composting only becomes difficult when it becomes expensive.

You don't need anything, really, except the tools needed to turn it and sift it when finished.

I had a pile in the back of our yard, and ALL organic wastes (except meat, fish and dairy) went into it.

Heck, you could even compost old newspapers if you didn't recycle, but then composting is like recycling....

You will be amazed at how fast things will compost with the right mixture of green and brown components, and if you have all the available biological components (worms, nematodes etc...)

I had to convince my parents to allow me to compost years ago. They were afraid that it would smell like a garbage dump with all the "rotting" materials. After a few weeks of composting, and turning every few days, I brought them up to the pile and grabbed a handful of compost (which was finished at that time) and asked them "What do you smell?" They replied "I smells like a forest (floor)" I said "That's exactly what it should smell like."

From that point on they were hooked, and would collect scraps daily to add to the pile.

If you do compost your household organic waste, you WILL notice that you will have less trash remaining to dispose of.

When I sifted the finished compost and used it as a growing medium in planters, the plants grew like crazy.

The other definite benefit will be an almost never ending supply of worms for fishing!

(You will probably find quite a variety of worm species that will inhabit the pile.)

Compost is cheap. And you can have it delivered. 

Unless you have a masochistic streak, buy what you need. Composting done right is a pain in the ass, and doing it right if you're looking to use kitchen waste is an enormous pain in the ass.

My wife has two barrels of rotting kitchen garbage in our back yard, they stink and there are flies hovering over them, and whenever I plant something, she says, Do you want some of my compost? :dismay:

44 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I just bought one of the black drums for outside and a table top bin for the kitchen counter.  I've almost filled one side (it has 2 chambers) with kitchen scraps and some old leaves.  Since I just started so I can't tell you much other than it holds stuff and turns and I'm happy not throwing coffee grounds and kitchen scraps in to a landfill.

Coffee grounds. egg shells, banana peels, apple cores, corn cobbs, old newspapers, paper towels and napkins.

If you do an outdoor compost pile, you can even compost old bread. Seems that worms go crazy over bread in a compost pile.

The only things to keep in mind are:

No meat, fish or dairy products (They CAN be composted, but WILL attract flies and scavengers (raccoons, skunks and opossum).

Try for a mixture of green and brown components, as too much green will add too much moisture and the pile will rot, and not compost. Too much brown and the pile will be too dry and the things that help break down the ingredients won't be able to get going. Sure, you can find a "perfect ratio" of green/brown mix, but you don't need to be that exact, as composting would happen if you just dumped the stuff right on the ground.

By actively maintaining the pile, you are trying to speed up the process and optimize your results.

57 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Fill it with leaves and kitchen garbage, and then cover it. Then go back in six months -- you'll find that what's inside is still leaves and kitchen garbage. :th:

we just have a pile. i think we just started with rectangular piece of frame on the ground made out of some 1x3 lumber we got from some house demo and started dumping all non-meat stuff like fisherman timbo said. lawn clippings and leaves go in there too. lots of super rich black dirt in there now and i'm not even sure i could find the 1x3's now. turn it over maybe once a year with a picthfork or not at all really if i grab a few loads to use around the garden or yard. easily cut our weekly garbage load by 50% or more. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Belmo said:

Compost is cheap. And you can have it delivered. 

Unless you have a masochistic streak, buy what you need. Composting done right is a pain in the ass, and doing it right if you're looking to use kitchen waste is an enormous pain in the ass.

My wife has two barrels of rotting kitchen garbage in our back yard, they stink and there are flies hovering over them, and whenever I plant something, she says, Do you want some of my compost? :dismay:

are you putting meat scraps in there and oily stuff? do you have any worms in there? 

Edited by rocco

Just now, Kml said:

By brown material is that just anything that is not green?

Coffee grounds are brown is a banana peel brown? 

i'm not sure what he meant either. i was thinking maybe dead leaves or dried up plant and yard waste :shrug: