Topside2

Do sharks concern you?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Don’t let it ruin your parade but Whites most certainly tag kayaks.  One flipped a couple girls out of yak down in Cape Cod bay several years ago, just a week after i was diving in same spot. There’s also a funny news clip from Santa Cruz of kayak attack, where the kayak got caught on the sharks dorsal fin, and there’s the guy just bobbing watching this shark have a fit totally shocked he’s in such a predicament. And here in Boothbay Harbor last year one came and said Hi to a woman on her paddle board.  Seems once they get a mouth full of plastic they’ll leave you alone, so there’s that. As far as getting in the water, I have to say I’ve lost my desire to spearfish in Low-vis New England.

Edited by kennebecjones

I think we are in a pattern up here where you will see more and more encounters. I use to fish with a chum bag hanging off me at night, those days are gone. I will be curious to see when the first sightings will be this year, the water is about 10 degrees from that..

On 6/8/2021 at 6:23 AM, Oakman said:

My brother, who is a surfer, tells me they are working on wetsuits with patterns that disorient sharks.  Have not checked it out but he says they work.  Might be worth looking into.

Here's a TED talk on the subject.  Pretty interesting.

While this may be good to avoid sharks, I’ll bet that modern Freddy Mercury drag queen look gets the other surfers to open up a can on them.

10 hours ago, kennebecjones said:

Don’t let it ruin your parade but Whites most certainly tag kayaks.  One flipped a couple girls out of yak down in Cape Cod bay several years ago, just a week after i was diving in same spot. There’s also a funny news clip from Santa Cruz of kayak attack, where the kayak got caught on the sharks dorsal fin, and there’s the guy just bobbing watching this shark have a fit totally shocked he’s in such a predicament. And here in Boothbay Harbor last year one came and said Hi to a woman on her paddle board.  Seems once they get a mouth full of plastic they’ll leave you alone, so there’s that. As far as getting in the water, I have to say I’ve lost my desire to spearfish in Low-vis New England.

Love this video. Almost 2 minutes in before he says to call for help.  

Edited by NHAngler